ngqhorse

Working Bench

Hello every one, I want to built a working leather craft bench, what's the good height for a perfect body position.

Pics?

Thanks in advance.

Nick, France

I don't know what a perfect body position is. I can tell you that I like to stand at my bench and 42" AFF is a good working height for me........

Bobby

I like a bench that hit me about at my waist line. That ends up being about 36-38 inches. I don't prefer anything higher than that because I'm fairly short, and I want to be able to reach all the way across my 4 foot bench.

Ross

Nick,

Unfortunately an ideal ergonomic height and "perfect position" just depends on the individual and the work performed. There are several other threads already discussing this subject...just search on workbench, workstation, etc...

Here are a couple that I quickly found..

Workstation Link #1

Workstation Link #2

Likewise an intended purpose can affect the height as well. Here's some examples of lowering heights to maximize their function. Many times you will see a work bench used for planing a board is lowered because of the sweeping motion that the woodworker is trying to perform on long boards. Therefore the reach impacted the finished height.

Likewise lets say someone inserts threaded inserts regularly on a part that is 14-15" inches tall. They would lower the height of their workstation to account for that increase in height even though they didn't have an extended reach. Many times for workbenches/workstations that change part sizes you will see a workbench that is adjustable.

You may even consider a mock-up work bench to determine your most comfortable height. Some of the other threads have that discussion as well.

Just some existing threads and some other thoughts to think about.

Regards,

Ben

Edited by gtwister09

If you're looking for a mobile cart (to perhaps roll into the center of your garage or shop for access to all sides - or if you twist your wife's/husband's arm to help you with a project), I highly recommend Norm's "Work Table and Clamp Cart - Item #0207" at the New Yankee Workshop.

0207.jpg

I recently built one (didn't buy his plans, just looked at his picture), and I'm very happy with it. It's very sturdy, and makes an excellent work surface. However, I wouldn't recommend tooling on it - it's not solid enough and it's very loud to hammer on.

Here is mine - note that I added a lower shelf to store rolls of leather. It rolls very easily, and it's very easy to lower to lock it in place so it doesn't move around.

783502573_QjCcd-M.jpg