Spinner

Custom Side Cover

I finished my latest project tonight, well 1/2 of it at least. I've been long thinking about where to put more storage space for little stuff like Honda All-in-one tool, a bandana, etc. without adding a front tool bag or fender bag/saddle bags. So I started looking at 'dead space' areas of the bike, spots where there was just extra room. Lo' and behold, turns out there is a pretty good chunk of real estate being wasted behind the side covers. 1 1/2" on the right and 2 1/4" on the left to be exact. So, I put a call out in the bike forum I frequent to buy a set of covers someone wasn't using and went to work.

After 2 days of some seriously focused planning and labor I now have the first 1/2of a set of side covers that are leather wrapped, hand laced/braided with a built in storage pocket.

Here is the finished product for the right hand side cover (with the OEM left side cover for comparison)

DSC00199.jpg

Here's a photo with the flap open:

DSC00198.jpg

For those that want to see a few more pictures of the process, I set up a photobucket album: Aero 750 Side Cover Project

I finished my latest project tonight, well 1/2 of it at least. I've been long thinking about where to put more storage space for little stuff like Honda All-in-one tool, a bandana, etc. without adding a front tool bag or fender bag/saddle bags. So I started looking at 'dead space' areas of the bike, spots where there was just extra room. Lo' and behold, turns out there is a pretty good chunk of real estate being wasted behind the side covers. 1 1/2" on the right and 2 1/4" on the left to be exact. So, I put a call out in the bike forum I frequent to buy a set of covers someone wasn't using and went to work.

After 2 days of some seriously focused planning and labor I now have the first 1/2of a set of side covers that are leather wrapped, hand laced/braided with a built in storage pocket.

Here is the finished product for the right hand side cover (with the OEM left side cover for comparison)

DSC00199.jpg

DSC00198.jpg

For those that want to see a few more pictures of the process, I set up a photobucket album: Aero 750 Side Cover Project

I like the way you think!

Great Job!

nice thinking good job

Thanks guys...now my fear is that in doing the other side I'll think of a better way/design and have to redo this one...LOL

Thanks guys...now my fear is that in doing the other side I'll think of a better way/design and have to redo this one...LOL

Updated my design about a week and half ago to include more stitching, better lacing, new buckle style and a place for a concho.

Got it posted on the motorcycle forum I frequent and got my first order today! Today was a good day. ;)

DSC00225-1.jpg

DSC00227-1.jpg

Updated my design about a week and half ago to include more stitching, better lacing, new buckle style and a place for a concho.

Got it posted on the motorcycle forum I frequent and got my first order today! Today was a good day. ;)

DSC00225-1.jpg

DSC00227-1.jpg

Very nice! It's a very functional, practical project! I've just been inspired!

How about some pics with the set ON the bike??

My wife rides a 750 Aero...which forum do you frequent? Nice work, great idea!

My wife rides a 750 Aero...which forum do you frequent? Nice work, great idea!

Hey Mick, I'm Webitect on ShadowAero750.com Forum

If she doesn't already, you guys should check it out...good group of Aero riders from all over the world.

Hey Troy, sorry I missed that post, here's a couple of pics from bikes I have done recently (just finished set #5 this week):

DSC00286.jpg

IMG_1657.jpg

Great Idea those all look fantastic!