Someone was inquiring on the forum a few weeks ago about this product. Can't find that post. Anyway this is a new product in the Weaver catalog billed as increasing your yield by allowing you to firm belly leather when making holsters.

I placed and order with Weaver's for several HO sides the other day and inquired about this product and if it was largely alcohol based? The sales lady said she didn't know what the product contained but since there was no MSDS sheet with it there was no alcohol content. My curiosity got the better of me and I ordered a gallon.

It arrived today along with a MSDS sheet showing the main ingredient as Butoxyethanol. Surprise Surprise! Anyway I called Weaver's to let them know they should clue in their sales people. Thought I should let the other holstermakers know also in case anyone was thinking of trying it.

It's about the same price as a gallon of denatured acohol but won't do anything magic that denatured won't do. It's not poisonous like denatured so that might be important.

Just a bit of information.

I haven't used the product enough to say whether it is good or not...I don't think I would want to use belly leather on a fine holster and then rely totally on a liquid product with the "hope" that it would not break down over time.

I plan to try it on some magazine pouches and see if I can firm them up a little.

That being said..It is NOT alchohol...this is what it is.. http://en.wikipedia....2-Butoxyethanol

Has anyone else tried this product ...sure like to hear about your successes/failures???

Thanks

Edited by Freedom

I haven't used the product enough to say whether it is good or not...I don't think I would want to use belly leather on a fine holster and then rely totally on a liquid product with the "hope" that it would not break down over time.

I plan to try it on some magazine pouches and see if I can firm them up a little.

That being said..It is NOT alchohol...this is what it is.. http://en.wikipedia....2-Butoxyethanol

Has anyone else tried this product ...sure like to hear about your successes/failures???

Thanks

It is an ether of ethelyene glycol which is antifreeze very close to alchohol. In any case it acts as a solvent for the collagens in the leather the same way alchohol or heat and water does essentially glueing the fibers in to place. Much less expensive to use those methods. None will make belly leather suitable for holsters.

It is an ether of ethelyene glycol which is antifreeze very close to alchohol. In any case it acts as a solvent for the collagens in the leather the same way alchohol or heat and water does essentially glueing the fibers in to place. Much less expensive to use those methods. None will make belly leather suitable for holsters.

Thank you for the reply!

Yeah, I was sure that it was not going to make belly leather into holster leather..lol

I was just wondering if this stuff roasted the leather, or made it more prone to surface cracking??

Will adding neats foot and leather cream re-hydrate the collagens, thereby reversing any stiffning effect that you may gain from the firmer product?

Kind of just looking for info on the product.... since I bought it I would like to try and use it, I already wasted the money, so by using it I sure don't want to just be wasting time and possibly ruining my products with it...lol

Edited by Freedom

I bought a gallon a couple months ago and have been using it on small cases like cell phone and knife cases and using some of the belly leather for the flaps and such and it seems to help firm it up for those uses. I would not use belly leather on a holster and use this product. I don't think it is a wonder product but it does help firm up those smaller leather projects made out of looser grain leather. I keep it in a spray bottle and really soak the leather after I have dyed it. Let it dry natural and it seems to help.

Randy

Resurrecting this old thread..... Weaver leather firmer.

I use a lot of this product and am very happy with the results that I get.I am just not happy with the $30.00 a gallon price.Can anybody recommend where to find this in bulk ? If you still have the data sheet I would sure like to have a look at it. Over the years I have tried a few other things like witch hazel but the best results I have found are with this Weaver product..Thank you Larry

I have been using it a lot recently with very good results. I use it on cigar cases that I make. I mold a 6-7 oz. veg-tanned leather that I have soaked in the firmer and then mold it around wooden dowels. I think it dries firmer than when I use plain water.