Sign in to follow this  
GullandValleyLeather

Skipped Stitches - Artisan 618-1Sc

Hello,

I have an Artisan 618-1SC, bought new 8 yrs ago. I just started having a problem with skipped stitches when sewing 3 layers of jacket weight garment leather. Works great on 1 and 2 layers. I've tried adjusting thread tensions, changed needles, threads and stitch lengths. I've checked needle position and feed dog adjustments, all ok.

Any ideas?

I have sent an email to Artisan, waiting for a reply.

Thanks!

Hi. Have you checked the sahety clutch yet? Steve

Try to tighten your foot pressure alittle more.

Bob

I just tried both of your suggestions, Steve and Bob. Still skipping stitches. It might sew fine for up to several feet of travel then it will skip several stitches, even as many as 20 then pick up again. I retested it on varying levels of leather thickness, still worse on thick but skipping an occasional stitch on thinner material. Anything else I can try?

You might try to hold the needle down about 1/8",tighten the screw & see what happens,this will let you know if the needlebar got pushed up.

You might try to hold the needle down about 1/8",tighten the screw & see what happens,this will let you know if the needlebar got pushed up.

OK, now were getting somewhere. I did as you described and tested it. I think this the fix. No skips! I'm consulting my manual for that adjustment. Sure wish there was a better manual for this machine!

Thank you so much for your help.

Karen

Lift up the end plate over the needle bar & you'll see the screw that holds it,loosen & drop it down 1/8"

I'm glad to hear you got it going.

Bob