IF and I mean IF you let the oil dye dry at least 24 hours first and then buff the hell out of it before you clear lac it.

and always test it on some scrap first. Are you trying to block first and then dye?

I would definitely try it on scrap first. I have never tried this so please let me know how it goes..It will be nice if Clear Lac resists the dye!!

It will be a bit before I do this I still have to order the clear lac and it being Christmas I figure it will be a week or so before I get it but as soon as I try I will let you know

It it doesn't then I don't think anything will. I would let the clear lac dry at least 8-12 hours, and I would try to keep the Feibings Black off the letters as much as possible, blot them immediately with a soft cloth (don't rub them), and like was said, test on scrap. It resists antiques and water dyes extremely well, never tried to resist against a spirit based dye, just don't normally go at it from that approach. I believe it will, but like I said let it dry throuroughly and make sure you get the entire blocked area covered or anywhere that you don't will dye fo sure as we say down here. Let us know how it goes.

Chief

I havent had anyone ask for black and letters stay natual before. I make Firefighter suspenders and radio straps and the usaaly want the letters red if the are on black I guess and I paint them I could order some water base black and just go at it that way would prob be he best route anyway.. Thanks for the thoughts

I use a product made for artists called "Art Masking Fluid" ( http://www.misterart...king-fluid.html ) It's like a latex fluid to paint where you want the block, at least 2 layers, comes in a yellow hue or white, same difference. It needs to totally dry befor you start dyeing carefully (be carefull not to rip the edges up). After the dye is dry you just drag the masking fluid away...It's like a rubber surface by this time. I have not used it on any other dye than Angelus and the old type Antiquing from Tandy and it works great.

Make some testpieces and make sure you paint the surface you don't want dyed thurroly, you do need a steddy hand. I clean the brushes with white spirit.

In the picture...All naturall edges/bands is blocked this way.

post-5624-0-19280400-1356155468_thumb.jp