RoyalLeatherDesigns

Adler- ? What Do You Think?

post-44756-0-11238200-1378672395_thumb.jI recently came across an older gentlemen wanting to get rid of all his sewing machines. Most of them had like 5 threads or something like that well I don't need those machines but if you do I can give you this gentlemen s number. There was only two machines that I liked one was a Singer Class 7 no reverse, and the other which I liked the Adler he didn't have a model number but I know you guys will. I think he told me the Adler was a double needle but I am not sure. What are these machines used for? Can I still find parts for them? What are they worth in this condition they are all running the Adler has a quo rotan motor or something like that. Thank you guys all help is welcome!

GOD BLESS!

Ralph\

Edited by RoyalLeatherDesigns

post-44756-0-78325800-1378672454_thumb.j

theres another picture of the Adler

• I found one on miami sewing its a 220-76-73 one needle. They wanted 5 thousand for their machine and it had a regular clutch motor this one has that weird motor on it. I am almost sure the guy told me it was a double needle would this be better or worse I cant call him because he is out on vacation from the pics do you guys think its a 1 or 2 needle

post-44756-0-56630400-1378677060_thumb.jmotor on the Adler is a Quick Rotan motor and just the motor is anywhere from 500 to 900 dollars the more and more research I do I think it is one unique sewing machine. Do you guys think if I buy this machine will I have problems finding parts for it. Edited by RoyalLeatherDesigns

It's definitely a double needle. You can see it in the 2nd pic. Trox will probably know the model and right person to check for parts.

Thanks! What do you think of it?

Yes, you are right, this looks to be a Kochs Adler 220-76-273 ( a two needle with 76 cm arm) Heavy high speed long arm upholstery machine. Complete subclass number should be on a small plate on the back side of the head.

The Adler 220 is a big triple feed with vertical hook(s), made for use with very heavy threads. It has a very big XXL hook and uses needle system 7 x 23.

This machine is very similar to the Singer 144W and145W (one and two needle). They was used in the car industry to sew upholstery on to wooden door panel in cars, and other heavy duty upholstery jobs. Both the Singer and the Adler have high foot lifts from 16 to 20 mm (depended of subclass). It still is no heavy leather stitcher, its a extremely heavy upholstery machine. It lacs the shuttle hook needed to perform well on heavy leather. It can be used as a one needle machine as well.

The motor is a new German Pfaff, Quick Rotan system servo with needle position. Similar to Efka and Ho Sing mini servo motors. If you need info about it you will find it on Pfaff http://www.pfaff-industrial.de/pfaff/en/service/downloads/technicaldocu/pfaffdocument?doctype=technical (you need the complete motor number of course)

These machines are very expensive new and used, but there are a limited marked for them. Therefore, you can find good deals on them sometimes. Adler stopped to produce this machine in 1984 and replaced it with the newer 221 (a upgrade). The 220 came with 35, 50 and 76 cm free space to the right of the needle. In one and two needle and a few different subclasses. These are mainly used in factories for heavy straight seams on everything from awnings and upholstery leather to webbing and polyester with heavy threads.

Like I said above, its no heavy leather stitcher and parts will be expensive and perhaps hard to find (check with your local Dürkopp Adler dealer). They are expensive but not easy to sell. What kind of work do you want to use it for?

I found this leaflet on the World of Dürkopp Adler parts http://www.duerkopp-adler.com/commons/download/download-text-attachments/Vintage_Leaflets_Adler/Leaflet_Adler_class_220.pdf max thread size tex 180 (tkt 15). Thats a lot less than the Singer 144W-305 (76 cm arm, which is very similar), I had one before and it sewed tex 400 all day long.

Despite high foot lift and heavy threads, it lacs the shuttle hook needed for heavy leather. Further info, check with Thomas Brinkhoff (head of spare parts Dürkopp Adler) in his blog "the world of Dürkopp Adler parts" http://sew24.blogspot.no/p/downloads.html

Good luck

Tor