Nathanjespers

2 layered straps

I'm attempting some double layered straps for the first time. I cut both pieces to the exact same length and glued them. When I went bend them to fasten them the edges got all wavy bacon on me. So I imagine I have to cut one piece longer than the other I'm just not sure what kind of ratio I need in order to determine how much longer.  Or maybe I'm missing something else completely. That's why I'm reaching out to you folks. Thanks a lot.

When I layer, or double, straps I cut the top to the measurements that I want.  If sewing the liner to the top, I use rubber cement to adhere them together.  The liner or bottom layer is cut oversize to the top. If the straps are curved, when attaching them together, bend them in the direction of the curve.  Tap them together with your hammer, and sew them together.  After sewing, trim excess and edge.  I have never had the liner bend without some "bacon" waves.  The key is to cut the liner oversize, not the same as the top.

5 hours ago, Goldshot Ron said:

The key is to cut the liner oversize, not the same as the top.

Sorry, that doesn't make sense to me. Or are you talking about the width of the strap? We all know that the inside of a curve is shorter than the outside.

So, when I wanted to make a wrinkle-free dog collar, I bent the liner over a "mould", attached the padding and then the outside. I was happy with the result, but doing it was such a pain in the ... that I decided it was simply not worth it to avoid a few tiny, invisible-in-use wrinkles.

Here is the discussion I started on the subject:

https://leatherworker.net/forum/topic/94789-dog-collars-always-worked-flat/?tab=comments#comment-645501

Edited by Klara
link added