Sign in to follow this  
sheowahya

pack up my workbench

I'm preparing to move overseas and I'd like some advice on how to pack up my workbench for the move.

As my entire life will be in a container in the middle of the ocean for approximately eight weeks, I'm concerned about salt water damage.

The shippers all assure me that they have never had any problems. I asked them how many times they have moved people with tool sets of any sort, they couldn't tell me and wouldn't give me any previous clients for referrals. Not a good sign.

So my question is what can/should I do to protect my tools? One of the shippers said they would coat them with a light coat of oil before packing. This worries me A LOT because of what the oil will do to leather once I am unpacked and back to work. I want to vacuum pack everything. Am I being obsessive?

All advice is welcome on this matter.

Thank you,

Marilyn

Pompano Beach, FL to

Melbourne, Australia

You likely woill have no trouble, the shipping containers are pretty well sealed.

Oiling anything around salt air is a good idea. When you get there just wipe everything down with a rag that has brake clean on it. All the oil will come off easily.

Vacuum packing is a great idea, just a lot of work.

I would suggest your idea of vacuum packing the tools, covering the all metal ones with a light coat of thin oil. If you do not want to vacuum them I would suggest coating them in something called cosmoline which is a thick grease used to preserve firearms in storage and transit across the big pond. You can then boil the all metal ones in a light detergent mixture a couple times and you will have the oil off of them....the wooden tools I would just hope for the best. The rawhide mallet might absorb salt air and be ruined, so perhaps having an idea of a shipper who will send things to you overseas would be good. Of course you could have a friend hold everything packed and wait for your arrival and ship them via UPS or FedEx.....

this is only my 2 cents.. i live on a island with salt water all around me..and all most ever thing i own cars and even the kitchen sink ..and all my tools i have came by ship..and i have never had a problem. its not like they are going to be shipped the tool setting out on the deck of the ship..one thing if you are going to live near the ocean like i do. i would say use AC in your work area it does make the tools last longer .But for 8 weeks your tools will be okay.. but for your peace of mind put them in zip bags ..i don't think you need oil...

Edited by hiloboy