suzelle

Screws and Bolts for 111 Walking Foot / Feet

Hello Seamsters and Seamstresses!

I have a few machines that are walking foot (Singer 111) and the feet are interchangeable. With Auto Upholstery work, I am finding I have to change feet a lot when moving to the different steps within each project. So that means changing feet about 3-6 times a day average. So, I'd like to make attaching feet a little bit easier. Most of the feet I have purchased are the ones shown on this site:

http://www.yaohan.com.tw/product_d.php?lang=en&tb=1&id=4172

My question is, does anybody know of a Socket Head Cap Screw that would work on these feet? I'm thinking an Allen wrench would be so much easier to use than a slotted screwdriver. Is that even possible? Sailrite has a couple of nice feet that look to be special made for their "Fabricator" machine and they list it as a 111 Style foot. Here is what the foot and the Screw/bolt looks like:

https://www.sailrite.com/Right-Edge-Guide-Foot-Set-4mm-for-Fabricator

Since I already have my feet, I am wondering if anyone has figured out what options are available for screws? Have you found a socket head screw with the correct thread and length that might work?

Also, there is something called an "Easy Change Clamp" or "Easy Change Screw" that fit a Singer 20U machine and many others. Howerver, these are not 111 style feet on the 20U. This Easy Change Clamp looks to be used on the outside foot. Not sure if there something like this available for the 111 style feet, But I thought I would ask. 

Please share what you can. Much appreciated!

Edited by suzelle
spelling

there is no quick change device for 111 feet - not possible IMO cause they are clamped inside the presser foot bar.

Option: Buy more machines - one for every step in the manufacturing process.

Edited by Constabulary

Finding off the shelf screws to fit anything on a Singer machine is going to be tough going - Most every screw is their own proprietary thread.

Here's a chart that lists at least some Singer screws and their thread pitches : https://www.singersewinginfo.co.uk/screw_threads

As you can see, it's unsure if ANY of them match standard SAE or metric sizes - To do something like you want, you'll probably need to talk to a machinist ......

Good luck

19 hours ago, suzelle said:

Since I already have my feet, I am wondering if anyone has figured out what options are available for screws? Have you found a socket head screw with the correct thread and length that might work?

If you have original feet finding something off the shelf is going to be a chore as trash treasure said. I think the inside pressor screw is 5/32" diameter with a 40 thread per inch and 7 mm in length. You could try i) a #8-40 screw since 5/32 is a #8 screw ii) order a screw from Sailrite and see if that works or iii) have someone re-tap the thread to a slightly larger standard thread size in either imperial or metric.

kgg

3 hours ago, Constabulary said:

there is no quick change device for 111 feet - not possible IMO cause they are clamped inside the presser foot bar.

Option: Buy more machines - one for every step in the manufacturing process.

Constabulary - Thanks for your input, I respect your thoughts and ideas. Also, I like your thinking about gathering more machines! However, more machines means more square footage. I am taking up enough space already! LOL. Oh wait, I did just order one. Hehe.

Trash Treasure - Thanks you, that's it "Thread Pitch" ... My machines I want the special bolts/screws for aren't really Singers, but Juki and Consew, they have the Singer Style Walking foot - 111 style foot. But thread pitch, that will help. Much appreciated! You must have done some of this screw and bolt hunting in your past! :)

kgg - Thank you! Okay I'm on it. Thought of doing that, just order on from Sailrite. Okay, I'm going to do that as soon as I can. May take a few weeks as I'm waiting for a new Juki 1541S to arrive. I think it will be Monday. Hopefully the new machine will not have any problems, and I sure hope UPS is kind and won't be dropping it 10 feet 10 times, or whatever the crazy shippers (may do). No broken parts, please!!! I"m so nervous.

Thank you all! Great input!

Edited by suzelle

1 minute ago, suzelle said:

Also, I like your thinking about gathering more machines! However, more machines means more square footage. I am taking up enough space already! LOL. Oh wait, I did just order one. Hehe.

well, you could switch the machines heads so no need for full set up tables - of course depends on the machines. In my 111G156 table I also use my 307G2 (same bed size) and also the 212G141 with an adapter "box" (cause of longer bed). I have to admit the 212 in this case it is not not very conformable to use but I don´t use it very often so it is kinda okay for what I do. In my Singer 51w table I can also use the 143w and 107w (also same bed size here).

28 minutes ago, Constabulary said:

well, you could switch the machines heads so no need for full set up tables - of course depends on the machines. In my 111G156 table I also use my 307G2 (same bed size) and also the 212G141 with an adapter "box" (cause of longer bed). I have to admit the 212 in this case it is not not very conformable to use but I don´t use it very often so it is kinda okay for what I do. In my Singer 51w table I can also use the 143w and 107w (also same bed size here).

Love those ideas Constulary! I have to admit, I do love machines. I sort of collect them. LOL. When I was shopping for a machine for doing lots of Auto Upholstery work, my first goal was to get a machine that had at least an M sized bobbin that could sew at least #138 poly bonded on top. Also, how much room under the foot was a huge consideration. Unfortunately, my Consew 255RB "Big Barb" that I recently purchased used for just $400 really doesn't lift high enough to sew over all the layers I have to sandwich together. I have to move to other machines in the shop that have a higher lift and they are Juki machines. So.... I'm selling Big Barb. A Co-Worker wants her and I'll get back what I put in. He understands her limitations but wants to do some sewing in his home shop.

So, My Pfaff 545 machine will be sharing a table with my Pfaff 138-6 at my home shop. I was happy to find they both fit same table. I just have to noodle around with the foot lifter when I swap out machines. As far as table for my Consew 255 - that goes with the machine when I sell it. So I got an entire new table, servo motor and machine for the Juki 1541S. The Juki will live at my friend's shop where I'm doing the Upholstery work. I bet the Consew 255RB and the Juki 1541S would fit in same table, but I figured I'd get all new for the Juki since the dealer only takes off $200 from the total when you want just the machine head. But we all now it costs over $400 or more if you want that stuff separate. So I'm going all new. Even added wheels so I can wheel her around since I won't be a full time employee. LOL.

Edited by suzelle

40 minutes ago, suzelle said:

Love those ideas Constulary! I have to admit, I do love machines. I sort of collect them. LOL. When I was shopping for a machine for doing lots of Auto Upholstery work, my first goal was to get a machine that had at least an M sized bobbin that could sew at least #138 poly bonded on top. Also, how much room under the foot was a huge consideration. Unfortunately, my Consew 255RB "Big Barb" that I recently purchased used for just $400 really doesn't lift high enough to sew over all the layers I have to sandwich together. I have to move to other machines in the shop that have a higher lift and they are Juki machines. So.... I'm selling Big Barb. A Co-Worker wants her and I'll get back what I put in. He understands her limitations but wants to do some sewing in his home shop.

So, My Pfaff 545 machine will be sharing a table with my Pfaff 138-6 at my home shop. I was happy to find they both fit same table. I just have to noodle around with the foot lifter when I swap out machines. As far as table for my Consew 255 - that goes with the machine when I sell it. So I got an entire new table, servo motor and machine for the Juki 1541S. The Juki will live at my friend's shop where I'm doing the Upholstery work. I bet the Consew 255RB and the Juki 1541S would fit in same table, but I figured I'd get all new for the Juki since the dealer only takes off $200 from the total when you want just the machine head. But we all now it costs over $400 or more if you want that stuff separate. So I'm going all new. Even added wheels so I can wheel her around since I won't be a full time employee. LOL.

The foot screw #200074 is 9/64 x 36tpi

10 hours ago, suzelle said:

My machines I want the special bolts/screws for aren't really Singers, but Juki and Consew

Well, if those are the machines in question, then they might be standard metric screws - No way to tell you without measuring screw size and threads.

You must keep in mind, that just because the machines take Singer style feet, it does NOT necessarily (and probably not) mean they use Singer screws - Those machines were manufactured on the metric system, and so most likely they all used metric fasteners.

Edited by trash treasure
more info

OK - I got to thinking about this while I was in the shower :~) - You probably wanted more concrete advice , rather than just info on thread pitches, etc.

Since you live in or near a metropolitan area, look to see where the nearest "Fastenal" store is near you - They sell (among other things) fasteners - Screws, nuts, bolts, washers, etc. Take the screws you want there, and someone will measure them for you - Tell them you want them duplicated with socket head cap screws, and see if they can help you. You'll likely have to buy them by-the-box, and not individual screws, but you'll have lots of extras then.

That's all I got, tonight.

12 hours ago, CowboyBob said:

The foot screw #200074 is 9/64 x 36tpi

Thanks so much Bob! I did order some more of those screws through Ebay, but they have not arrived yet. There were no dimensions, so I appreciate you providing them for me!

11 hours ago, trash treasure said:

Well, if those are the machines in question, then they might be standard metric screws - No way to tell you without measuring screw size and threads.

Trash Treasure,

Great idea about Fastenal! Yes, we do have one of those places nearby where I can just go in and ask them for some help. I think I'll do that for sure! I'll bring in the screws/bolts I want to match threads to, then see if they can hunt for a hex head option for me. I'll be sure to come back and document (for others) if I find something that works. Much appreciated are your thoughts!!! :)

Side note: I did head to Lowes first thing yesterday morning with the screws for the inside feet with me. They have a Thread Measureing Gauge mounted on racks where screws and bolts are on display that is always a place I head to first when I can't find something. The little part I was trying to match fit into the smallest holes on the gauge, but neither the Standard nor the Metric thread fit.

So my guess is it may be EST (British Standard thread) I am looking for?? Also, I asked my Husband to bring home his thread pitch gauge, so I'll be ready when I have the correct screw(s) in hand. I'm being very careful as I only have one that is made of a nicer quality steel and don't want to lose it. Also, found this site which I'll use to enter Bob's dimensions that he gave for screw.

https://www.singersewinginfo.co.uk/screw_threads

Again, thank you all! 

Edited by suzelle

Update: I'm still on the hunt for the perfect screw allen head bolt/screw. I contacted Sailrite to see if I could just buy the screws from them. They responded quickly, saying basically that they aren't selling them separately. They said they tend to be "captured"...guess that means somebody hunted and tagged them already. :) Oh well! We also tried ordering some screws online that looked like the right combo - they arrived and they were waaaaayy to small! I'll keep trying. Still need to go visit Fastenal. I think there is still one of those in my town. Not sure when I'll do that, tight schedule lately, but it's on the TO DO LIST!

I realize this is an old topic but since I’m also on the hunt for something better than slotted heads I would like to fill in what I found out so far. The screws for the Singer 111w feeding system are:

Presser foot: 9/64” 40 tpi L: 9 mm (.350”) (.200 part threaded).
Alternative: #6-40 L: 9.5 mm (.375”) Drive: T-10 / 7/64 hex. Full threaded. (?)

Walking foot: 11/64” 40 tpi L: 6.5 mm (#9 …)

Throat plate: 11/64” 40 tpi L: 8.5 mm countersunk head. (#9 …)

Feed dog: 1/8” 40 tpi L: 6.35 mm (.250”). Alternative: #5-40 UNC hex head - head may be slightly high and rub the throat plate)

Needle screw: 1/8” 44 tpi L: 4.5 mm (.180”)(or 3.8 mm (.150”)).
Alternative: #5-44 UNF

18 hours ago, ThomasA said:

I realize this is an old topic but since I’m also on the hunt for something better than slotted heads I would like to fill in what I found out so far. The screws for the Singer 111w feeding system are:

Presser foot: 9/64” 40 tpi L: 9 mm (.350”) (.200 part threaded).
Alternative: #6-40 L: 9.5 mm (.375”) Drive: T-10 / 7/64 hex. Full threaded. (?)

Walking foot: 11/64” 40 tpi L: 6.5 mm (#9 …)

Throat plate: 11/64” 40 tpi L: 8.5 mm countersunk head. (#9 …)

Feed dog: 1/8” 40 tpi L: 6.35 mm (.250”). Alternative: #5-40 UNC hex head - head may be slightly high and rub the throat plate)

Needle screw: 1/8” 44 tpi L: 4.5 mm (.180”)(or 3.8 mm (.150”)).
Alternative: #5-44 UNF

Thanks for posting this data with the tpi and equivalent screws.