Leatherfanatic

Cutting Straps from Oil Tanned Hide (4-6oz leather)

Let me start by saying I am a total noob. I am having a problem cutting straps from an oil tanned hide with soft/medium temper with my strap cutter (the wooden one Tandy sells). It is not firm enough to cut perfect straps. What does everyone else use to cut even straps from this type of leather?  

Well, the only way I've had luck with cutting soft leather straps is by using a long cutting table and a piece of hardboard, ripped to the width of the strap and using a rotary cutter.  The hardboard has a smooth side and a rough side. Lay the rough side down to immobilize the leather and cut along the ripped hardboard .  If you don't have a long table, go to a big box store (Lowes, Home Depot, etc.) and buy a 4 foot by 8 foot 3/16 inch sheet of hardboard.  Have them rip the widths of the strap sizes you will be using and leave 6 inch piece to lay on the floor to be your cutting table.

Hardboard: https://www.homedepot.com/p/Hardboard-Tempered-Panel-Common-3-16-in-x-4-ft-x-8-ft-Actual-0-175-in-x-48-in-x-96-in-832780/202404545

rotary_cutter.jpg

Edited by stelmackr

I use a wooden strap cutter for this sort of leather. It's one of the now discontinued ones made in Stockton rather than the Far East. The Stockton ones are superior, but yours should work okay.

First ditch the "proper" blade and get a pack of injector razor blades. Similar cost, half the thickness, sharper and long enough to use at multiple "spots" on the blade. Just put some tape over the exposed part so you don't accidentally cut yourself in half.

Then set your strap cutter with the parallel bars a little further apart than required for your thickness of leather. You don't want it dragging or snagging, but neither do you want it rattling about.

Start with a straight line. Mark it with a straight edge (ruler, aluminium angle, selected wooden batten, whatev) and an awl. Then cut that line by hand with the leather hanging slightly over the edge of the bench. I use a small round knife or wharncliffe knife or utility knife or pair of shears as the mood takes me.

If your knife line is a bit wobbly set your strap cutter for 1/4" and cut it straight with your strap cutter. It's not waste, it's a useful piece of lace or thong.

Then set your strap cutter for your preferred width. Measure it with a steel rule rather than relying on the dimensions marked on the gadget. Hang a little leather over the edge of your bench and engage the blade to the leather with the gauge in firm but gentle contact with the straight edge. You should be standing with the bench to your left side and the cutter in your right hand roughly 18" away from your belly. If the leather mushes up rather than starts easily put the cutter down, make a 1" starter cut with a knife and start again with the wooden cutter. Use your left hand to pull gently on the hide and the cut strap immediately behind the blade as you're pulling on the cutter. If it tries to move away from the bench (narrowing the strip) pull harder on the strap and push the cutter slightly to the left. If it tries to dive into the hide (widening the strap) pull harder on the hide and push the cutter slightly to your right. When your left and right hands are about as far apart as you can comfortably move them while keeping it all straight move your left hand down to where the cutter is, step backwards and start again.

Sounds like a lot of palaver but it literally takes me a few seconds to cut an accurate 8' long strap from a side of this sort of leather. It helps that I've done it hundreds of times.

Remember that your strap may not finish straight, even if it is the correct width. A large piece of leather, like a large piece of wood or steel plate, has internal stresses which are balanced against other stresses. Sometimes when your cut a piece off these stresses are no longer balanced and the strap starts doing an banana impression.

Thank you both stelmackr and Matt S, I will try both of these methods. Matt S. where do you get the injector razor blades? Thanks again to both of you. I really appreciate your help.

Leatherfanatic

14 hours ago, Leatherfanatic said:

Thank you both stelmackr and Matt S, I will try both of these methods. Matt S. where do you get the injector razor blades? Thanks again to both of you. I really appreciate your help.

Leatherfanatic

You're very welcome! I get them from eBay.