Kjamesro

Singer BA motor runs but no power

I have a Singer 66-18 with the Simanco BA motor.

I know it is not a heavy leather machine but want to use it for lightweight garment leather.

The motor runs at high speed BUT has no power.  Without the belt, I can easily stop the motor with my fingers.

On the machine, the motor can barely run, even without thread or material under the presser foot.

I can hand turn the balance wheel easily and I have cleaned and oiled the machine.

The motor works better when the belt is tensioned too loose.  I have replaced the drive belt.

I don’t feel like the problem is the machine but don’t know what to try next.

Thanks in advance!

Ken

3 hours ago, Kjamesro said:

Simanco BA motor

That is a toy motor for household/domestic sewing machines. I looked up the 66-18 and it is a domestic sewing machine. It is meant to sew thin cloth.

You can probably upgrade the feeble motor with a 1.5 amp model sold on eBay. Get a new controller with it.

Don't expect professional results from a domestic sewing machine.

Thanks Wizcrafts.  I can turn the balance wheel by hand and it sews 2 3-4 oz veg tan no problem.

the motor spins at high speed by itself, when I attrach to the machine it can hardly turn it, without anything being sewn.  The motor should but does not run the machine.  I can spin the balance wheel without the motor attached and it cycles many times, so the motor is bad , I just don’t know what to service i

on it….replacing the motor is a good idea.

thanks

On 4/27/2022 at 3:23 PM, Kjamesro said:

Without the belt, I can easily stop the motor with my fingers.

You could try and take apart the motor and check and see if all the connections are good, the brush is good, the windings are good. But honestly it is probably not worth the effort as you can get a new 100 watt domestic sewing machine motor off Amazon for about $25. 

kgg