Sign in to follow this  
CindyF

Possible Bona Allen Sundance/sunburst Saddle Identification and care

Hello, Any help with identification and restorative care would be greatly appreciated!! From what I remember, my grandfather bought this saddle off a horse at a horse auction in the early 1970's. I know for sure he had it in 1976 because he rode in a several day parade with the Liberty Bell commemorating the trek it took hiding from the British during the Revolutionary War. I used to ride regularly in this saddle and he eventually gave it to me. I have had it since about 1990. I used neatsfoot oil on it (many years ago) like my grandfather always did and kept it in doors. Unfortunately, a couple of basements have been damp. I have been meaning to clean it but I have always been afraid to because I don't want to cause further deterioration. I happened upon this forum and thought I would reach out for guidance and advice. I can not find any Bona Allen marks and the silver plate has worn of on quite a few studs. There is also a gummy green substance around the silver studs (where the stud contacts the leather). I'm guessing that is oxidation mixed with neatsfoot oil. I need to clean the green oxidation, the saddle, and condition/oil it to make it supple and preserve it. I would love to know something about the saddle, especially if it is a Bona Allen, and possible a ballpark estimate of when it was produced. I do not ever plan on selling it and told my kids it must stay in the family. I have no idea what it is worth but on another forum someone talked about insuring one on their homeowners insurance. Is this saddle worth insuring? Again, any help, information, and guidance would certainly be appreciated. Thank you!! Cindy

Edited by Northmount
Removed bad links

@CindyF Removed bad links.  They all came up with errors.  Assume that they were supposed to be links to photos. 

If your photos are too large, they need to be resized.  On your device, drag the photos to the area identified in the text box you are posting in, near the bottom of the box.