Sign in to follow this  
Grunt

my first attempt at making a holster

Here are a couple of pics of my first attempt at making a holster. I would have liked for it to have come out better. I think the pattern is OK and will work for future attempts with maybe some minor modifications. The belt loop is too big and the stitches I used for it are too far from the edge of the loop. Also the stitches around the belt slot are not spaced evenly on either side. Also the leather I used was too thick and I know squat about boning. It has some other issues as well, but I don't know enough to know what they are.

I finished it in USMC Black with Leather Balm on top. I don't plan on using this holster for anything but a reference for next time so I didn't go for a fancy finish.

Anyway..... here are the pics

holster1back.jpg

holster1front.jpg

Any comments or advice, preferably, would be appreciated. :head_hurts_kr:

Regards,

Nick

Nick,

It looks pretty darn good to me. (Especially for a first try.) However, I know first-hand what it feels like to finish a project, take a good look at it, and identify four or five areas that I want to improve on with the next one. It sounds like you already know how to make your second holster better.

BTW, I wouldn't be shy about showing up on the range with this holster on your hip. The spartan finish matches the pistol's look well. Here's one suggestion -- I'd actually use this holster for a few days before building the next one. The improvements you mentioned are all cosmetic, but who knows? After using this holster for a while, you may decide it sits too high, or you need more access to the triggerguard, etc. Whenever I build a brand new product, I always make the first one for myself, and then I use the heck out of it for a while to see how it performs.

Regards, -Alex

Here's one suggestion -- I'd actually use this holster for a few days before building the next one. The improvements you mentioned are all cosmetic, but who knows? After using this holster for a while, you may decide it sits too high, or you need more access to the triggerguard, etc. Whenever I build a brand new product, I always make the first one for myself, and then I use the heck out of it for a while to see how it performs.

Regards, -Alex

Alex,

Good Call. I think I will wear it around for a while and see if there are any things that require any other changes.

Thanks for the kind words,

Nick

I don't think it's a oh, three hundred, but you're on the road. I think too much forward can't. Look way back in the posts under holsters, etc. and we discussed molding and boning. Molding is not different for molding than it is for tooling and stamping. When it's returning to it original color, that's the time to shove your piece in it and start to mold and detail in the lines with your boner ... lol

You might think about more relief behind the trigger guard so you can get a firm and final firing grip on the piece before you start to draw. The firing stroke starts in the leather, no sense in having to juggle and fondle your piece on the presentation. Before you draw - a firm and final firing grip!

What you've got is lookin' good to an ol' crotcher ;)

Aw, dog face please forgive me. You're at Bliss. That's cool! You're doing the do, I salute you. Should have looked, but there's malfunctions here lately. Tap, rack, it doesn't work.

I rode up on "the Rim" and I see you're in Magoffinville, and while there on the rim we have a good view of the Franklin's, the Rio, Juarez, Wes' grave in Concordia, Hueco Wells, and Dead Man's Walkin' ... rode to misery, and that great two gun lawman Dallas Stoudenmire, not to mention some sly Texas Rangers & real cool Ranger history - par excellance of western lore and tales - God! you're steeped in history in that burg; lucky man you are. A lifetime of study, not to mention El Paso Saddlery, the ol' S.D. Myres Company, and should I also mention what's south of the ree-ver senor ... visit El Paso Saddlery and see if that ol' leather carver from Juarez is still carving their holsters. He's 70 plus if he's still kickin' and he can do with a screwdriver and bread knife what we'll only dream of - he is without question a master of the craft of leather. You in the land of gun leather without doubt.

Lookin' forward to seeing your next scabbard ... buena suerte mi amigo .....

From a fellow holster maker, you are off to a good start. Wear it, use it, take it to the range. This will give you some good ideas on where to make changes on your next project. I suggest wetmolding a sight track. Its easy to do. I use a 1/4" dowel cut slightly longer than the length between the front of the rear sight and the rear of the front sight. Using a utility knife notch the forward end to nicely fit over the front sight. Tape it in place using blue painter's tape. Doesn't leave residue on the weapon. Now it is ready for wetmolding. Remember to add just a drop or two of dish soap to the water you are using to dip the holster to wet it. Good luck.