chuck123wapati

8" skiver project

On 7/13/2022 at 7:49 AM, chuck123wapati said:

Thank you,  I hear that! I think its human nature to want to create. I come from a family that has always made /built /created in some form. Mom an excellent seamstress, dad a mechanic always with more time than money lol always enforced our creative nature. i cant afford a quality built one and wont buy a chinamo brand piece of junk that i would have to re build anyway lol.

A lathe and mill would be friggin awesome!!!!!!!

See, now the electrician in me wants to add gears and a motor to your skiver and make it do all the work of putting the leather through the blade....

But then that means I have to go through the complicated math for designing, cutting and mounting gears (keyways and etc)so I get the speed correct....for the appropriate torque needed to do it well.   Because I'm definitely lazy just like you...ha ha ha.  

I'm thinking that a one horse DC motor and....

However....if you watch and look around there's a bunch of very old lathes and verticle mills (in great shape) that can be had for very little $ but they are going to require some heavy lifting, Rigging, installation, and hauling...which usually is the larger expense in these things.  If you have room in a workshop..  

I'm thinking that my house needs to be around 1200 square feet but my workshop needs at least 4000 Sq feet.  

48 minutes ago, johnnydb said:

See, now the electrician in me wants to add gears and a motor to your skiver and make it do all the work of putting the leather through the blade....

But then that means I have to go through the complicated math for designing, cutting and mounting gears (keyways and etc)so I get the speed correct....for the appropriate torque needed to do it well.   Because I'm definitely lazy just like you...ha ha ha.  

I'm thinking that a one horse DC motor and....

However....if you watch and look around there's a bunch of very old lathes and verticle mills (in great shape) that can be had for very little $ but they are going to require some heavy lifting, Rigging, installation, and hauling...which usually is the larger expense in these things.  If you have room in a workshop..  

I'm thinking that my house needs to be around 1200 square feet but my workshop needs at least 4000 Sq feet.  

Thats why i haven't trimmed the main roller shaft yet lol. was actually thinking about a hand crank. it would be easy to power it

I have a one stall garage lol, i spend most of my time moving the few tools i have back and forth lol, wood working, knife making, welding   and auto repair take turns. I'm afraid at my age a  lathe and mill are just dreams for me, but i can do some small stuff on my wood lathe, made ferules out of 45 shells the other day for some hand tools.

56 minutes ago, chuck123wapati said:

Thats why i haven't trimmed the main roller shaft yet lol. was actually thinking about a hand crank. it would be easy to power it

I have a one stall garage lol, i spend most of my time moving the few tools i have back and forth lol, wood working, knife making, welding   and auto repair take turns. I'm afraid at my age a  lathe and mill are just dreams for me, but i can do some small stuff on my wood lathe, made ferules out of 45 shells the other day for some hand tools.

A bunch of decent tabletop CNC mills are getting to be within budget too....

Just saying....