Sign in to follow this  
TZHunter

Introduction

Hi ! My name is Doug (TZHunter). I'm a missionary in Kenya, East Africa. I got into leather work 4 years ago when I promised my 3 boys I'd sew them each a backpack for Christmas when we were in the States for a few months. They had each chosen their own leather for their backpack in mid-November. . .after about a week of handsewing, I realized "There's gotta be a better way !" So I desperately started looking on Ebay and ended up purchasing an old Singer 29K58 that works great. An extra benefit is that I can keep on sewing when our electricity goes out very often here in Africa. I primarily sew small items like phone cases, knife sheaths, small bags or purses--all just as a hobby or for gifts for friends. I've just purchased a Tippmann Boss for those "thicker" projects. I'm probably one of the few people that purchased their manual machines because electricity isn't real reliable where they live! I've learned more in a couple of weeks reading the forums on Leatherworker.net than I learned on my own in 3 years. I did get the 3 backpacks finished (just a little late though), and after 4 years of daily carrying heavy loads of books, they all are still doing their job just fine. I look forward to learning lots from all of you!

Welcome to the site glad to have ya!!!! Mike

A hearty welcome Doug. You'll find lots of help here when you do have a question. I'll bet you have something to also help most everyone here because of your experiences.

Gld to have you join.

Regis

Hi Doug welcome to the forum glad you found us, Don

Welcome to the forum Doug. It's real good to have you here, and I think your the first from Africa.

Hoping to see some of your work someday.

Ken

Welcome Doug!

I joined a couple months back and am amazed at the diversity of this forum.

The love of leatherworking is really something special!

Cheers!

Freddie

Doug, it's great to have you here. And many thanks for your Contributing Membership. Your donation of any amount helps defray the costs of keeping this site online and helping leatherworkers around the world. :)

Regards, -Alex