CyberBadger

Assistance w/ Patent Elastic-type machine (Claes or Kochs Adler 'Universal Elastic'?): Bobbins, threading etc.

Hi all -

I've wanted to get back into leatherwork and recently picked up a small patcher with the intent of using it for smaller home projects. It seems to have been well-maintained, and was in use by an older gentleman until relatively recently. I believe it might be a Kochs Adler 'Universal Elastic' - at least 'Universal' is visible on the paint remnants.

Unfortunately I'm worried I may have overpaid as I cannot get it working properly. I'm a bit limited with what's locally available as I don't have a car & I wanted something smaller that doesn't rely on electricity, but I'm hoping I didn't make a mistake here...

I thought that it was just incorrectly threaded - but now I'm wondering if the bobbin cases are wrong. It came with 3 which are slightly different sizes. The darker coloured one is, I believe original, and slightly shorter than the other two. None of them seem to glide close enough on the left side to hook the thread.

Any information or help would be greatly appreciated!

IMG_20220724_111030204_result2.jpg

IMG_20220724_111418365_HDR_result2.jpg

IMG_20220724_111259079_result2.jpg

I think I have a PDF manual for this machine but it is in German language - send me a PM with your email address and I can forward it to you.

1 hour ago, Constabulary said:

I think I have a PDF manual for this machine but it is in German language - send me a PM with your email address and I can forward it to you.

PM sent, thanks! Hoping I can find the proper bobbin case somewhere if that's indeed the issue...

C ,

send me a PDF of manual please if you would.

glenn

great.  I got a manual from Constabulary.

glenn

Update! I feel a bit dumb now....

Thanks to the manuals, some photos and a helpful video on another forum, I discovered that the previous owner probably had the incorrect needle size. I lowered the needle by 5mm or so and it seems to work!! Now I feel a bit dumb...

As I understand, the machine should take System 88 needles, so I have ordered some to try. And the shuttle is still quite worn, so I will see if the Singer 29k ones fit, as a few people reported having success.

But otherwise this should work to start out with!