Feriabu

Sewing machine

Hi everyone, hope you all are doing well. My name is Mehdi and I’ve been making custom shoes for 20 years (in the middle east) and have 10 years of experience with orthopedic (shoes,soles, etc). I recently moved to the states and I finally have the opportunity to start something for myself here. I want to start with watch straps, purses and wallets (I will attach an image of the first purse I made recently). However I need help and advice from this wonderful community. 

I’m finding it difficult to choose a sewing machine, so far, these are the few that Im considering:

Techsew 4800

Juki LS 1341

Juki DC 246 

Adler 669 

Ive never worked with any of these (and dont know anyone that has them to go test them). I want to make the investment to purchase the best machine for my work, ie. bottom and top of piece needs to look good , going from thick to thin areas. Also, if you think another machine would serve my needs better, Id really appreciate it as well . 

Id appreciate it if any of you could give your valuable advice to aid me in my selection. Thank you in advance.

Mehdi

The Juki and Adler you listed are among the best. They are also very expensive, You can probably find an authorized dealer of these brands and visit their shop to test them out with your materials.

You haven't listed your current, or new location in your profile. What city and State are you living in? There may be industrial sewing machine dealers within driving distance.

If you find an industrial sewing machine dealer and settle on the type of machine, or machines that are suitable, report back here about your preferences. Maybe we know someone who sells clones of the machines that are perfectly capable of doing the same job at half the price.

Thank you for your response, I live in Denver Colorado. Ralph’s Industrial sewing machine is close to me and I went there a few months ago to buy a sewing machine from there ; however, they sold me the wrong type of machine for my work (I paid $1600 and it leaves marks on either side of my stitching-great for upholstery though just not for leather). So, ive kind of lost trust in them. Do you know of any dealers besides for Ralph’s here in the Denver area? 

Marks on both sides tells me he sold you a top and bottom driven upholstery walking foot machine. That type of dual feed uses teeth on the top and bottom to drag difficult materials through the machine. It doesn't leave marks on seating vinyl, outdoor canvas, duck cloth, sail cloth, most upholstery leather, webbing, Velcro garment leather and cloth and denim. Dealers who don't specialize in selling to leather workers and harness makers make this mistake a lot.

The type of machine you actually need to sew leather that is mark-able without leaving tooth marks, is a compound (triple) feed walking foot machine, with smooth feet and feed dog. We have dealers who support the forum and who specialize in sewing machines that don't leave marks on leather. Some even supply stainless steel feet to avoid darkening moist leather. Two of those dealers are Toledo Industrial Sewing Machines, in Ohio (Cowboy), and Leather Machine Company, in California (Cobra). Techsew is based in Canada, but exports to the USA. These three are very knowledgeable when it comes to recommending the best machine for a particular range of sewing jobs involving leather and other materials. I have dealt with Toledo Industrial Sewing Machines multiple times, as well as Leather Machine Company. I have never been sold a machine that wasn't suited to the job I intended to use it for.

As a professional sewer, I welcome you both the the USA and Leatherworker.net. Working with leather sewing machines has a life of its own. Buckle in and enjoy the ride!

Since you have experience working on shoes, you no doubt have used shoe patchers and sole stitchers. We frequently discuss patchers and once in a while curved and straight needle stitchers are brought up in topics. These machines have cousins in the heavy leather field in the form of harness stitchers using a barbed needle and a stabbing awl.

15 hours ago, Feriabu said:

I’m finding it difficult to choose a sewing machine, so far, these are the few that Im considering:

Techsew 4800

Juki LS 1341

Juki DC 246 

Adler 669 

If I'm not mistaken:

i) Techsew 4800 is a clone of the Juki LS-1342 costing about $ 2300 takes a #18 to #24 needle

ii) Juki 1341 costs about $ 5000 takes a #18 to #24 needle manufacturer rated for V138

iii) I am assuming you meant Juki DSC-246 not Juki DS-246 costs about $ (unknown) takes an #18 to #23 needle manufacturer rated for V92 thread

iv) Alder 669 costs about $ 5000 sewing thread manufacturer rated for up to V138

v) Parts and accessories for Juki and Juki clones are more available and less expensive then those for Alder machines.

Please note the price I have shown doesn't factor in the cost of shipping or anything else.

Since this is going to be an expensive purchase find a dealer, even if it means doing a road trip, and do a sewing test run with your items using the thread you want to use. Remember two things:

1) no one machine will do everything

2) BY ONCE, CRY ONCE

kgg