Bright Blue Center of hide, Normal?

I don't ever buy chrome tanned leather but I thought I'd try...

I received a side of Crazy Horse leather and after putting a straight edge along the spine I saw the entire center is bright blue.

Is this normal or does it mean the hide is not fully tanned and still raw?

blue leather.jpg

Edited by 308

It's normal -- that bluey-grey is the "natural" (undyed) state of chrome tanned leather, just as a pinky-beige is the "natural" state of most vegetable tanned leathers. All it means is that the leather isn't dyed all the way through ("struck through"). This may be an economical measure (less time and dye) or may be done deliberately (as some dyes can affect the handle of the leather).

Thanks for the info, Matt.

I have bought similar leather before from the same tannery but from a different distributor and the center was not blue.  This is only my second chrome tanned hide ever.

This distributor wrote on the description that the center was a natural color... 

Unfortunately, I only make strap goods and can't use this side.  I was curious to see what they say when I apply for a return.

If you run some colour down that edge she'll be right. Sharpies work pretty well for raw edges.