Sign in to follow this  
jsutterby

Chap leg closure

Just throwing this out there for interchange of ideas. The leg closure method on chaps/chinks is something I have been working on, trying to find the best solution. I have built several pair and repaired quite a few, and seen everything from buckles/straps to snaps and rings to lace-up (step-ins).

I want to start a pair of chinks soon and use buckles/straps for leg closures. Elton's green pair of arena chaps (posted in gallery) used this method and he was kind enough to PM me with his preferred method of attaching the straps using copper rivets (thanks Elton). Anybody else want to chime in with what they use and pros/cons?

Here is one way I tried out one time- punched 1/2" bag slots vertically to match concho, strap went through and was bled through itself on the back side, the long end then pointed and holes punched for buckle tongue. Sorry I don't have a backside pic. I guess it is working- haven't heard any bad feedback yet. I think I will try Elton's method on the next pair.

Thanks in advance-

Jason

Dec1006_007.jpg

post-2280-1202672082_thumb.jpg

I like the way you've done this. It looks neat and tiddy. Some people like "Conservative" looks. and this will do that. For some cowboys, all they want is a copper rivots going through the center holding the leg strap in place. Some like more dressy look, like what Elton did, with a bleed knot and a silver or brass concho.

What you did here in nice, the concho's a plain and thats good. One fellow wanted plain concho's like that because the ones with sharp points on them can hurt your hands when you brush them up against your leg.

The important thing when making stuff for people, like chaps. Is to listen to what they want, offering ideas into a wide variety of looks and let them choose what they want. Many people don't know what they want, so just listen to them when you make idea's, like pictures. Some guys are so conservative, the couldn't even wear chaps with fringes on them.... LOL

Keep up the good work

Bob

the only thing I can say is I like the straps on the inside and buckle on the out side so you can put them on with one hand and less bulk under your leg like the strap

Russell

the only thing I can say is I like the straps on the inside and buckle on the out side so you can put them on with one hand and less bulk under your leg like the strap

Russell

I see what you are saying, just seems like the majority I have looked at are done the other way. I may try some both ways on some chinks for my boys and see what we like.

Just my 2 cents wrth but I put my buckles on the inside, mainly because if you do it the other way the strapend past the buckle sticks forward through the fringe(at least until the break in and droop down

I see what you are saying, just seems like the majority I have looked at are done the other way. I may try some both ways on some chinks for my boys and see what we like.

I agree 100% with Dink. I find them just as easy to do up that way as the other.