Sign in to follow this  
Kevin King

WIP KK

Okay, I don't normally like to post anything till complete, (I still have to make the strap) but I couldn't wait to show this thing off!

siik.jpg

siik2.jpg

post-3955-1194635899_thumb.jpg

post-3955-1194635913_thumb.jpg

Kevin, you have to explain that lacing to me.

Ken

it looks like a "skip-stitch" pattern.

Kevin, you have to explain that lacing to me.

Ken

Ken,

I remember thinking when i was lacing this thing "Kens gonna be so mad." I don't think this lace is in any of Al's books.

Wow Kevin,

That's a sick piece!

F

Kevin, I never get mad...just even...LOL. It actually gives it a kinda barbed wire look, I must admit I would never have thought of doing something like that. But it does kinda grow on you.

Ken

I like the wild, bright red lacing. It really works for this project.

Now a question -- I've never considered lacing a wallet because I've always assumed it'd make it more difficult to fold and more bulky in the pocket. However, I notice most wallets shown off on this forum are laced. Is my assumption incorrect, or do folks just prefer the looks of a laced wallet? Just wondering...

I like the wild, bright red lacing. It really works for this project.

Now a question -- I've never considered lacing a wallet because I've always assumed it'd make it more difficult to fold and more bulky in the pocket. However, I notice most wallets shown off on this forum are laced. Is my assumption incorrect, or do folks just prefer the looks of a laced wallet? Just wondering...

I'm not a huge fan of lacing wallets either, but, I don't know if you noticed that this "lacing" is not your traditional lacing. It does make it very bulky, but that was my intention. This lace was actually inspired by the spiderman movie, you know how his web is all crazy and random looking. By the way Alex, I checked out your website and love your work-very clean.

Edited by Kevin King

By the way Alex, I checked out your website and love your work-very clean.

Hey, thanks. That's real kind of you to say. :blush:

Okay, I don't normally like to post anything till complete, (I still have to make the strap) but I couldn't wait to show this thing off!

siik.jpg

siik2.jpg

owww, that lacing is going to be like carrying a rasp in your pocket,

and try riding a bike with that in your pocket, heh heh

... i used to lace wallets - until i made one for myself...lol..that is crazy looking though!! love it...

but in all seriousness - i do have a question - when you cut out the applique and stitch it to the wallet back, do you cut out that piece while it is glued to

Something? I am thinking of trying something for myself like this style - but haven't ever tried to cut out a shape as complex as that - with leather as soft as that.

and then try to have it stay in place while i manhandle it on a sewing machine... and you're sewing skills are far more advanced than mine and i don't know that i could

manage some of the complex turns-backs you've accomplished here...nice work as usual Kevin - inspirational - your not afraid to try new techniques

steveb