ShellCordovanFan

English Saddle - Attaching Front of Panel

My first attempt at replacing all 6 billet straps. First time dropping part of the panel. I’m sure it gets easier the more you do it. My question is on attaching the front of the panel, is there a specific knot to tie that will cinch tighter as I pull it? Is that the type of knot used here?

Thanks!

On 10/5/2022 at 8:37 PM, ShellCordovanFan said:

My first attempt at replacing all 6 billet straps. First time dropping part of the panel. I’m sure it gets easier the more you do it. My question is on attaching the front of the panel, is there a specific knot to tie that will cinch tighter as I pull it? Is that the type of knot used here?

Thanks!

Sorry to be late to the party.  The panel is secured with a single needle running stitch known as a pop stitch.  The awl and needle are angled to create ~1/4 inch stitches spaced about 1 inch apart.  For the repair, it is best to reuse the old holes without using an awl.  I use 0.040" waxed polyester thread from Maine Thread Company, doubled up, for this job.  I find it helpful to use a second needle to probe each hole from the opposite direction that I'm pushing the needle and thread.  The probe pushes through one of the layers and helps me to get the 2 layers lined up as I push through with the needle and thread.  The link you mentioned says to begin by knotting the end of the thread and doing a backstitch to secure the end of the thread before continuing with the pop stitch.  That should be sufficient to hold everything together if you have the tree and panel properly positioned for the reassembly.  Steinke has more information in "Repair Your Own Saddlery and Harness."

IMG_5946.thumb.jpg.2fd8642814ecc2188bc245c0f9bd08ff.jpg

Before i drop the panels i will mark the front of the saddle with about five straight lines using a china graph pencil or something that can easily be wiped off, this will help you when you need to line it all back up if the lines match up you are more likely to find and use the existing lacing holes which means you have not altered the alignment of the re-attached panels. (To remove the china graph i use the flesh side of some panel hide that way you don't damage the the saddle.) 

Hope this helps

JCUK

What thread did you use to replace the girth/ billet straps.  You have to use the right one.  Someone’s life depends on them

as to the knot.  There is no special knot.  I have worked with many saddlers and advise some of the largest saddle making companies across the world.  I have seen hundreds of saddlers tie a knot  At the end of the day it’s just a knot 

getting the panel tight.  Is more to do with. How it is pulled up. You also use a masher to knock the panel. As you pull. I would imagine a hammer could do a similar job.  I’ve never had to try that 

When you get to the end   It should already be up tight.  Just tie a big knot. Try and hide it

as to lining up the panel. If you look at the gullet on the front of the panel.  Next to the flocking.  You will see a line of stitches.  Near the stitches. You will see a small nail hole on both sides   Pull the panel up into place. Put a nail in each hole.  That will hold the panel in place as you stitch.  Make sure you take the nails out   When you finish