AndyL1

Pirate Tricorn

Has anybody out there ever made a tricorn or even a cavalier hat? I was thinking about making one, but I've never made a hat before. Any tips, suggestions, patterns, or photos?

Thanks,

Andy

Has anybody out there ever made a tricorn or even a cavalier hat? I was thinking about making one, but I've never made a hat before. Any tips, suggestions, patterns, or photos?

Thanks,

Andy

As it happens, I've literally just been asked by a friend who runs the local ghost walk if I can make him one of these for his tour and I was going to ask the same question.

So if anyone can help, I'd also be thankful

D.

Arrrr id be intrested also...... :red_bandana:

I cant seem to find the thread but its in here somewhere. Someone made a really cool one with the world map style image on it. Turned out pretty neat.

I cant seem to find the thread but its in here somewhere. Someone made a really cool one with the world map style image on it. Turned out pretty neat.

This one it? http://leatherworker.net/forum/index.php?s...amp;#entry62070

Crystal

WOW! That hat is cool. A bit overboard for what I'm thinking about but a good inspiration. I think I can figure out how to make the brim. It's the "bowl" that your head sits in that I have to ponder over. I think if I look over some cowboy hats I may get some more clues into how to make something like this. I know there's guys out there that make these for a living so I don't want anybody to feel inclined to give out their secrets.

So funny, I just ran across this posted on a steampunk Live Journal community. It's for making a Jack Sparrow hat, but could easily be modified to whatever specific pattern. It is a .pdf.

What would you do with a drunken sailor?

http://www.houseofanoria.com/CaptainJack/C...arrow%20Hat.pdf

Dude That is Exactly it. Thanks Heaps!

:You_Rock_Emoticon:

:notworthy::notworthy::notworthy:

No doubt! Thanks a lot. That is pretty much what i was looking for. Awesome.

No doubt! Thanks a lot. That is pretty much what i was looking for. Awesome.

No problem, it's funny that you made the request because I meant to post that here and forgot. Going to be starting on one myself this week!

If anyone wants I'll post photos of my cavalier hat that I have. I'll try to get some good photos so anyone who wants to try engineer their own

I can have photos ready by Saturday afternoon for everyone.

If anyone wants I'll post photos of my cavalier hat that I have. I'll try to get some good photos so anyone who wants to try engineer their own

That would be Nice. Thank You, One can't have too much visual info.

:crazy:

http://www.hatshapers.com/

These hat forms are designed for felt hats, so I don't know how they'd hold up to the stresses of stretching leather over them. They're not terribly expensive, though.

Sorry about the late reply. Do you have some photos of your cavalier hat? I'd love to see them.

-Andy

Sorry about the late reply. Do you have some photos of your cavalier hat? I'd love to see them.

-Andy

Sorry, sorry, sorry :( ..... It's actually sitting on my desk right now. I've just been working out in the gas fields quite a bit lately (50+ hrs./wk) and not getting home till late hasn't helped much, like now, I just got home from school.

I'll do my best to have them up tomorrow. It's actually a very simple, 3 pieces plus the hat band.

Damon

Here you go. Thanks for being patient everyone. I put them on my MySpace account because of the size of the photos.

My leather photos

Damon

hat1.jpg

post-7630-1233114699_thumb.jpg

Sorry, sorry, sorry :( ..... It's actually sitting on my desk right now. I've just been working out in the gas fields quite a bit lately (50+ hrs./wk) and not getting home till late hasn't helped much, like now, I just got home from school.

I'll do my best to have them up tomorrow. It's actually a very simple, 3 pieces plus the hat band.

Damon

Hey no worries! i hear ya on being strapped for time. That hat is very nice! I could see a big feather sticking out of that thing. Do you have a tutorial or patterns on how you made it? It looks rather simple. I bet I could figure it out. What weight of leather is it? Looks kind of sueded too maybe.

-Andy

Hey no worries! i hear ya on being strapped for time. That hat is very nice! I could see a big feather sticking out of that thing. Do you have a tutorial or patterns on how you made it? It looks rather simple. I bet I could figure it out. What weight of leather is it? Looks kind of sueded too maybe.

-Andy

I bought it at a renfaire about 10 years ago, way before I got into leather. If I had to guess I would say that it's made out of 6oz leather, It's not suede, the maker just put the flesh side out. I must say that it's good quality leather because I've worn it through several Texas thunderstorms with no shrinking, or at least not enough for me to notice.

Because of this thread I'm thinking about making a pattern from it, with some changes, and make myself one for everyday wear.

Here are the measurements of what I have:

Brim 14"x16" - inside opening- 7"x 8 3/4"

Height 3 3/4 + seam allowance with a circumference (top) of 23" + seam allowance

I haven’t made it yet but I will be doing this one real soon hope I’m not to late to help

http://www.houseofanoria.com/CaptainJack/Captain%20Jack%20Sparrow%20Hat.pdf