Jeff Claridy

Artisan Toro LS 1020 splitter setup

I recently picked up a LS 1020 leather splitter 20” hand crank and servo motor setup. It hadn’t been used in a few years so I cleaned it up. Removed the blade to check it’s condition it seemed in good condition honed the blade and reassembled blade. I’m having trouble getting it to split in a uniform weight. Have only tried small strap pieces 4 to 6” long. I have no manuals and I can’t seem to find any detailed setup or operation manuals on line. Looking for all the help I can get. Thanks in advance.

5 hours ago, Jeff Claridy said:

I have no manuals and I can’t seem to find any detailed setup or operation manuals

This link to Artisan manuals may help: www.artisansew.com/manuals.html

This link to the youtube video Cowboy 8020 may also help as it appears to be a similar leather splitter: www.youtube.com/watch?v=V8XSHI2X--0

kgg

7 hours ago, kgg said:

This link to Artisan manuals may help: www.artisansew.com/manuals.html

This link to the youtube video Cowboy 8020 may also help as it appears to be a similar leather splitter: www.youtube.com/watch?v=V8XSHI2X--0

kgg

Thanks 

The only manual I found on the site was a schematic parts list. 

On 11/17/2022 at 11:48 PM, Jeff Claridy said:

I recently picked up a LS 1020 leather splitter 20” hand crank and servo motor setup. It hadn’t been used in a few years so I cleaned it up. Removed the blade to check it’s condition it seemed in good condition honed the blade and reassembled blade. I’m having trouble getting it to split in a uniform weight. Have only tried small strap pieces 4 to 6” long. I have no manuals and I can’t seem to find any detailed setup or operation manuals on line. Looking for all the help I can get. Thanks in advance.

This is a very heavy machine, you need a very powerful servo motor and speed reducer

https://youtu.be/rk8VmINzl7o

On 11/22/2022 at 12:40 AM, CowBoyOUTLAW said:

This is a very heavy machine, you need a very powerful servo motor and speed reducer

https://youtu.be/rk8VmINzl7o

It seems to be cutting fine no drag on the motor, that I can tell. It just doesn’t cut at the same thickness through out the cut. I’ve made adjustments to where the blade is compared to the roller. Closer to the roller then farther away from the roller. Still not a consistent cut. I was thinking there might be a sweet spot for the blade. Like a manufacturer’s suggested distance, or a mark on the bed that the blade lays on, but I can’t find anything. Thanks for the suggestion.

The sweet spot for my hand splitter is with the blade aligned at the top/center of the roller up to 1/8" behind the center position.  What type and weight of leather are you splitting?  Does the split change in a continuous manner, becoming thicker or thinner along the length of the split, or is it moving up and down throughout the length of the split? Can you try something easy like splitting a firm 8-10 oz veg tan to half thickness?  

5 hours ago, TomE said:

The sweet spot for my hand splitter is with the blade aligned at the top/center of the roller up to 1/8" behind the center position.  What type and weight of leather are you splitting?  Does the split change in a continuous manner, becoming thicker or thinner along the length of the split, or is it moving up and down throughout the length of the split? Can you try something easy like splitting a firm 8-10 oz veg tan to half thickness?  

8 to 10 oz veg tan leather straps 6 inch long. They are starting off thin halfway through 6” piece moves to thicker cut. I haven’t tried anything longer than 6” to check if it stays continuous.

With my manual splitter I pull the leather through at a constant downward angle to maintain a consistent split.  I also keep an index finger next to the blade guard to keep the leather entering the blade from drifting upwards when approaching the end of the strap. 

I am typically splitting straps of 10 oz bridle leather to 5-7 oz thickness for liners and chapes.  If the leather has uniform substance I can get an even split for 2-3 feet of length on a 1" strap.  I don't know how your machine's feeding mechanism is configured but you might see if you can manually support the leather exiting the blade to maintain a consistent angle of feed.

13 hours ago, TomE said:

With my manual splitter I pull the leather through at a constant downward angle to maintain a consistent split.  I also keep an index finger next to the blade guard to keep the leather entering the blade from drifting upwards when approaching the end of the strap. 

I am typically splitting straps of 10 oz bridle leather to 5-7 oz thickness for liners and chapes.  If the leather has uniform substance I can get an even split for 2-3 feet of length on a 1" strap.  I don't know how your machine's feeding mechanism is configured but you might see if you can manually support the leather exiting the blade to maintain a consistent angle of feed.

Thanks Tom, I will try that. That idea has given me a few other ideas to look into.