ZigZag

Needle equivalent

Hi, I’m trying to set up my Adler 166, a zig zag machine to take a V92 thread. The needle type for this machine is 328 / 214 / DDx. The smallest needle size for this type that I can find in the UK is size 21 or 130 to use a V138 thread. Does anyone know if there is an interchangeable needle type that has a size 19 or 120 needle in the range.

Thanks

Nick

45 minutes ago, ZigZag said:

The smallest needle size for this type that I can find in the UK is size 21 or 130 to use a V138 thread.

The question I have is what and how thick of material are you planning on sewing?

The information I have seen shows that in thick / tough / sticky material a size 21 (130) would be a good choice for V92 thread or in thinner material that needle could be the bottom end V138 thread. If the hole the needle makes isn't large enough the top thread will not form the loop properly and you will get skipped stitches. Also the slightly larger needle will reduce needle deflection in thicker / tougher / sticky materials particularly with zig zag in thicker materials.

My experience with doing a zig zag seam, be it with a sailrite clone, is a size 20 (125) is the hole is really a touch too small when I sew above it's rated max of about 3/16" (~4.75mm). This little machine does one thing, edge binding and I regularly sew 7 mm thick material. I did have to make some modifications with a few fancy words of encouragement to get the height clearance under the outer and inner presser feet up to 10mm (touch over 3/8") .

kgg

1 hour ago, Constabulary said:

https://www.college-sewing.co.uk/catalogsearch/result/index/?needle_size=5644&q=214x+needle

216x1 is approx the same but is slightly different in the tip area. They were used with Singer 132K and the like

Thanks for this, much appreciated. I’ll give it a try.

22 minutes ago, kgg said:

The question I have is what and how thick of material are you planning on sewing?

The information I have seen shows that in thick / tough / sticky material a size 21 (130) would be a good choice for V92 thread or in thinner material that needle could be the bottom end V138 thread. If the hole the needle makes isn't large enough the top thread will not form the loop properly and you will get skipped stitches. Also the slightly larger needle will reduce needle deflection in thicker / tougher / sticky materials particularly with zig zag in thicker materials.

My experience with doing a zig zag seam, be it with a sailrite clone, is a size 20 (125) is the hole is really a touch too small when I sew above it's rated max of about 3/16" (~4.75mm). This little machine does one thing, edge binding and I regularly sew 7 mm thick material. I did have to make some modifications with a few fancy words of encouragement to get the height clearance under the outer and inner presser feet up to 10mm (touch over 3/8") .

kgg

Hi kgg, I’m working with acrylic marine canvas. It is pretty heavy weight and some is polyurethane coated. I usually sew 2 - 3 layers, but that can go to 5 layers or with leather chafe patches. I also work with clear flexible window materials. Many of the seams are glued with double sided tape as well. I’ll try the larger needle and see how I get on. Thanks for the advice.