Deryk

Thinking about time to get an electric stitcher!

Hello folks!  I have been silent for a while life got hectic.  I do a little leather side work (well haven't for the last year and a half) Mens hat's and laptop/messenger bags and backpacks.  I am disabled still fighting with our beloved federal government to approve me but in the meen time I need to get back into making a little side coin.  I have a Tippman Boss and been using it for a few years but I think electric and 2 hands on the leather piece might be a good plan.  I work with typically pliable 5 to 6 ounce leathers with strapping usually 8 to 9 ounce Latigo leather.  I already owned a sailrite lsz-1 well I updated the motor package and got smooth feed dogs on it and it does sew!  Much slower now, but I don't want that to be my main machine but it would certainly allow me to add linings because I think I am going to be adding some women's bags because they seem to spend more lol.

I am waiting to hear back about Juki LS 341N for sale on eBay

It isn't that far from me, about 5 hours.  I was wondering any suggestions about what to look for besides bringing the leather I want to run through it?  There isn't an appropriate table for it so makes me wonder where it could have come from.  Servo motors can always be replaced if it's warn out but what about the innards on an older machine like this...how costly to replace?  

Edited by Wizcrafts
Fixed centered paragraphs.and got rid of long multi-line link into hyperlink tag

The LS-341 is a very good machine. A used machine could be fine, or have trouble. Only way to find out is request a demo of it sewing something as thick as you want to sew with the needle and thread sizes you intend to use. That model is usually6 rated to use #138 thread, top and bottom. That has 22 pounds breaking strength. Plenty for hats and bags.

If it turns out that the machine has major problems, we have dealers here who sell brand new equivalents to the 341. One is Cowboy brand from Toledo Industrial sewing Machines, another is Techsew brand from Techsew, and another is the Cobra brand from Leather Machine Company.

Thanks Wiz!  

I do admit the Techsew 2750 and the Atlas At 341 are two machines that I kind of like, with the ability of up to 207 thread top and bottom and 1/2" clearance for the thick part of bags by the straps.  The Cobra 26, the throat room is a little smaller (9 inch cylinder I think?).  A company called Reliable makes a 4500CW that looks interesting.  Sadly need to keep this around 3k...and I really want a bell skiver!  LoL!