GerryAttrick

An interesting visit today

I was talking to an elderley single female co-worker the other day about my interest in working with leather. She told me her now deceased father was a leather-worker and she invited me around to look at some "stamps he used in his work".

Today I visited her and she showed me the attached box of stamps. They must be at least 20 years old as her father died that long ago. They appear to be from Tandy and seem to be plastic. I assume he would have stamped the designs in to the leather and then carved to pattern. She showed me a leather ladies wallet he made for her mothewr which had some of the patterns carved in to it. It was lined with a very thin leather and the hand stitching was very neat to my eye.  She also had his old Singer Treadle machine which he had fitted with an electric motor. During our conversation she mentioned that her brother still had all her fathers old tools and patterns which she thought he might consider selling and I have been offered first refusal if he does want to sell.

As I was leaving she mentioned that her father was also a wallpaperer and wanted to show me his old wallpaper equipment and I felt obliged to look although not that interested in them really. It turns out they were in an old gramophone case which he had converted to a storage box and as she pulled things out what should appear but his original head knife (sorry no pix of this one yet) it was slightly rusty but still scarey sharp and in a leather pouch that he made for it. There was also a scraper and a funny object like a plane but with a round cutting wheel and what appeared to be a fence and I assume it was for cutting strips of leather. I did not manage to get a photo but she was going to ask Mrs Google what it might be ;-) I will look in the Stohlman books to see if it appears there.

To cap it off what did she have in the garage (her car sat in the driveway outside!)...a 1964 Thunderbird 2 door coupe. In totally original and unrestored condition. I turns out that it is hers which she "bought a couple of years ago as an investment". As Whangamata is the home to Beach Hop, New Zealands largest meet for classic (mainly American) modern and classic cars and hot rods ( https://beachhop.co.nz/ ), it is an appropriate place for it to be but she does not enter it into Beach Hop

All in all a day to remember!

IMG_0108.jpg

Wow.  Nice find for sure.

First of all, I pray you are getting around OK now.  That picture you showed of the torn up road was shocking.  

Interesting stuff!  There is always more to learn and I had never seen a set of stamps like that.  Thanks for sharing the pics and the story.

Also, here's something that some might be able to use.  Make your own 3D stamps!

https://www.instructables.com/3D-Print-Your-Own-Leather-Stamps/