Sign in to follow this  
cybertracy

how do I create (burnish?) realistic looking 'shadow'?

how do I create (burnish?) realistic looking 'shadow'. I have a large area that is the shadow of the item above, but I cannot seem to burnish (darken) the leather. I beveled the entire perimeter then tried various background, matting and pear tools with no success.

That's dependent on moisture. There's other threads on casing and there's a lot of opinions and methods on that. As far as the correct moisture to get that shadow you're after I find I get that best just as the surface of the leather begins to appear to be drying, i.e. returning to it's original color or look. If it's too wet there'll be no shadow, if it's just a little too wet you'll get a blackening almost dirty shadow, when it's right you get that burnish, when too dry you get very little shadow. Experiment with it so you notice the getting too dry look, as that's your cue to apply a little moisture, which a damp sponge will usually suffice - wring it out totally and wipe lightly over the project. You'll notice edges drying first and edges may take more moister than the center. If you start too wet you won't get the shadow so wait and watch, too dry add moisture. It'll vary with your leather, how it's tanned, who tanned it, thickness, etc. I find HO needs to be drier than WC and mossback wetter than plain, so make notes; we have to pay attention to details. Try, try and try again, and practice, but you gotta practice right. Garbage in is garbage out. Repetition is the mother of skills. You'll get your shadows with a little experimentation. Good luck and let us know and don't hesitate to ask more if you have questions.

regards,

Bill

thanks bill, I'll keep practicing! This may be elementary, but what tool to you use to create a large shadow area? The bevelers only go so far. . .

You could try using the larger figure carving bevelers. They are used to matt away from figures and by tilting them, you should be able to matt as far away from the figure as you want with some practice.

The blade you use for your cuts will also make a difference. I get a lot of people wanting to use the 1/4" angled blade,

just becuase it is angled. I try to tell them that in reality this is a filigre blade for cutting through the leather. The end result is

that it makes a very skinny channel. Personally, I use a hollow ground blade most of the time. This gives a nice wide channel that

when beveled, gives a deeper shadow. Just my 2 pennies worth. peace.