Sign in to follow this  
BridleButt

Original Calfskin Cartridge/Money Belt

Has anyone personally handled an original? Some of the examples in "Packing Iron" say were made of calfskin but all the calfskin I've ever seen was nowhere near firm enough for a holstered revolver or take the loop stitching, let alone hold up for over a hundred years to end up in a museum. Even the modern "heavy chap leather" used for biker items has a lot of stretch that would preclude it being used for this type of belt.

( All credit for the picture goes to Mr. Rattenbury from his wonderful book...which I bought about 10 years ago and based on the prices now I'd better put into a temperature controlled, airtight vault)

belt.jpg

Edited by BridleButt

I'm gonna have to get me that book some day.

Nope not me, it would be about 5/6 oz doubled i don't see why it wouldn't hold cartridge's. and a few silver dollars or even a pistol and knife. Maybe they were made thin so they were comfortable while riding a horse. Plus I don't think using them for a 100 years crossed their minds at all.

I will add that is just one example of a cartridge money belt out of thousands made by different folks, they made things the way they wanted to just like us so leather choice was just that , personal choice, so make yours with whatever leather you want it wont be wrong. however folding thick leather like they were made will be a chore. As i understand it they were one piece folded at the bottom and sewn at the top. 

6 minutes ago, BridleButt said:

Ordered some of this from Springfield Leather. Buffalo Calf...I think it will work nicely. 

844-007.SLC.01 (1).jpg

that will look awesome!!!!!!

That looks good. What weight is the leather?