Sign in to follow this  
IanO

Henckels Half-Moon/Saddle Knife

Hi all

I am new to leatherwork and picking up some tools from auction sites.  My main hobby is greenwood working, and leatherwork is a good solution for making tool covers.

Anyhoo - I came across a Henckels Saddler's Knife for not much money.  Seems to be manufactured between 1900 and 1959 from the maker's mark.  

I cannot, however, find any background on Henckels as a saddle knife manufacturer, beyond a single post on this forum.

Does anyone know about them?  My concerns is it might just be a fake and not worth the time investing to restore it.

Thanks

Ian

Some picsimage_6487327.thumb.JPG.25d0b377d72f3912c3e79d41e82a3072.JPG1009887538_pic1.thumb.jpg.22adee56d39975f640ad5b43a2ed721a.jpg1974469727_pic2.thumb.jpg.0d1f17246c8d06bac9c6cdd19f4086d1.jpg

@bruce johnson Contact Bruce Johnson Leather Tools - he knows more about vintage tools than anyone I've ever met. I'm not 100% certain I tagged the right person here, but you can google for his website.

Probably not a fake - the handle and everything looks correct. Yes they made leather knives and I’ve had a few.  They are usually nice knives!

Thank you for responding.  

Glad to hear your view, I will get on the job of restoring and let you all know how it goes.  There are a few dings out the blade but I should get most of it sorted.

Ian

Edited by IanO

In case anyone is interested in these things.

Cleaned the knife up today and starting applying a bevel.

Needs a good polish but the blade on the left hand side has a serious dent out of it.  Time to break out the Tormek, I think.

106887124_image_67180289(1).thumb.jpg.116c155004dd9dcabb8b1f76d4b5239e.jpg