RBLH

Tool to crimp ferrules

I am looking for the tool used to crimp (set) sterling ferrules on a rounded leather horse bridle. 
The tool slightly rounds over the edge of the ferrule, setting it into the leather. 
Does the tool have name? Or, do I need to jerryrig something on my own? Pictures of the actual tool or your version would be helpful. 

Ferrule crimper,  common as an honest politician. I seriously stopped taking a waiting list for them when the list hit 20. I get one every other year on average. There was at least one somewhat volume maker because I had or have seen several of the same design. There are shop made versions made from machinist vices. The jaws are channeled and drilled and with rounded receivers so when you crank it closed the ends crimp. I have had a few made with a pair of pipe flaring holders that are on guide that slide together. The holes have been machined with a tapering design to crimp the ends as they are slid together. I've seen pliers modified to crimp by hand too. I suspect that the major shops all had one but only needed one, they didn't need one at each work station. There just aren't that many showing up for sale. 

A few of us have approached different machinists but either they weren't interested or the price quotes were over the top. Greg Gomersall has a good one and I don't think he's had any takers on duplicating his. That's about the best version I've seen. 

I've attached some pictures of the pipe flaring tool version. Last quote I got  to make to make a run of 20 was about $400 each with good pipe flaring clamps or $600 for machinist made clamps and tighter tolerances. There just isn't the market at those prices that I see. 

ferrule crimper 1 (1).jpg

ferrule crimper 1 (2).jpg

ferrule crimper 1 (3).jpg

ferrule crimper 1 (4).jpg

Hey Bruce, thanks for the reply. Yes, I assumed they were a bit rare, not being able to find any through searches. 

The pictures (much appreciated) are about how I envisioned the tool would look and work. A person would need to do quite a few to make the price of the tool worth it.

thanks!!

What diameter of leather are you talking of?

I'm thinking that a ferrule crimper for hydraulic hoses might be adaptable

Hey Bruce, thanks for the reply. Yes, I assumed they were a bit rare, not being able to find any through searches. 

The pictures (much appreciated) are about how I envisioned the tool would look and work. A person would need to do quite a few to make the price of the tool worth it.

thanks!!

Hey Fredk,

3/8 in dia. I thinking a long the same lines. Still will need to modify. 

I don’t have many to do, as I am rebuilding a bridle already with ferrules. I just need to add a few more

Can some one explain what is needed? I know a retired machinist that loves projects. Is there a link or video that shows what needs to be crimped and how?