Wyowally

Safety Clutch settings, Adler and others

I got the Adler 167-gk373  working pretty well after all the feedback from you folks. Thanks!  I think the safety clutch was the culprit - not releasing easily or as designed.

I have searched here and elsewhere on what the trip settings should be - as in if there is a need to adjust, how to do that. Is there an actual torque number, or is it more a ballpark range sort of thing?  Maybe back it way off to the soft side, then if it trips too easily when just sewing on tough material with big needle and thread - tighten it up a little? Or put a block of wood under the needlebar (without needle), then adjust to trip when turning with the handwheel with what seems like too much force?

I hope that explains my question. The machine mentioned did have the clutch locked up, so the needlebar moved in the clamp, the screw tips got hardened and polished to where the clamp wouldn't hold well when doing normal sewing. Fixed that.

Thanks again.

Seems like we just went over much of that in this topic

It’s a ballpark range kind of thing, as you said. The main things to look for are:

1. You can manually trip the clutch by holding the clutch and turning the hand wheel to make sure it works at all.

2. The clutch doesn’t let go during normal sewing, only when it really needs to.

Edited by Uwe

I never asked for specifics on the actual adjustment in that thread.  I do have it cleaned, aligned, and lubed and it does disengage with what I think is adequate force after that and backing the adjustment screw way off. Just find it sort of amusing that the manufacturers who will specify something like "0.35mm clearance" have provided an adjustment without actual adjusting instructions.  For this machine I will set it so it trips when a #25 needle hits 1/2" of hard veg tan when trying to force the needle through with the hand wheel.  I'll report in this thread on that experiment. 

I am smiling because it seems that there are no real adjustment instructions.  If it kicks out when you don't want it to when sewing nothing out of the ordinary - then tighten it up a little. If it still kicks out, tighten it some more. If it doesn't kick out when you break a needle or get one of those multiple thread tangles around the bobbin/hook - loosen it up some and hope it works.  At least that's what I have found out so far. YMMV.