mamasew

Singer 47w66 sewing backwards after new hook installed

Hi,

I replaced the hook assembly on my cylinder arm machine and set the timing. I started to sew and the machine will only sew backwards. What did I do wrong?

Please help.

thank you

22 hours ago, mamasew said:

Hi,

I replaced the hook assembly on my cylinder arm machine and set the timing. I started to sew and the machine will only sew backwards. What did I do wrong?

Please help.

thank you

One of 2 things you might have loosened the feed cam just to the left of the hook gear on the lower shaft or you took the timing belt off &  didn't get it back on correctly

Edited by CowboyBob

Or... ? you hit the button sequence to, ' run Reverse direction'  in your Servo Drive .

What Cylinder bed machine model, are you talking about ? . I not familiar with that model  .. Is your Reverse lever in the UP position  ?

Edited by nylonRigging

16 hours ago, nylonRigging said:

Or... ? you hit the button sequence to, ' run Reverse direction'  in your Servo Drive .

What Cylinder bed machine model, are you talking about ? . I not familiar with that model  .. Is your Reverse lever in the UP position  ?

Good point about the motor that's probably what happened

I didn't think about that,but this model doesn't have reverse

Hi,

Thank you for your replies. My machine is a Singer cylinder arm machine 47w66 model # EW047696. Also, this machine is not a walking foot machine. You are right; this machine does not have reverse. I have not removed the timing belt. When I turn the handwheel (with the motor off) the machine feeds the fabric in the reverse direction. How do I adjust the feed cam to make the machine sew forward?

Also, is the upper shaft ( the one above the hook driving shaft) is that supposed to move?

Thank you all for your help.

On 4/28/2023 at 11:29 AM, CowboyBob said:

One of 2 things you might have loosened the feed cam just to the left of the hook gear on the lower shaft or you took the timing belt off &  didn't get it back on correctly

Thank you so much! I did loosen the feed cam by mistake.  I did not remove the timing belt. My adjusters manual does not explain how to time the feed cam. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated. 

Thank you,

Betty

18 hours ago, mamasew said:

+re+ it+ is+ nowThank you so much! I did loosen the feed cam by mistake.  I did not remove the timing belt. My adjusters manual does not explain how to time the feed cam. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated. 

Thank you,

Betty

Loosen the set screw & spin it the cam 180' so the screw is on the opposite side from where,it should go in a groove on the shaft.

Thank you so much!  I did what you suggested but it did not fix the issue.I have found the problem. There is a small section of large threads on the arm shaft that has broken off preventing the spindle head from catching. I have had no luck finding a replacement arm shaft. Any ideas?

Thank you,

Betty

19 hours ago, mamasew said:

Thank you so much!  I did what you suggested but it did not fix the issue.I have found the problem. There is a small section of large threads on the arm shaft that has broken off preventing the spindle head from catching. I have had no luck finding a replacement arm shaft. Any ideas?

Thank you,

Betty

Those shafts are real hard to change,it would be easier to turn the adjuster screw all the way in & use the screws on page # 11 of this manual to change the stitch length.111w101 (1).pdf

Here's a file with a better explanation of how to adjust it by using the screws.Showing that you have to remove screw BB to turn CC to change the length & clockwise will make it longer ,after adjusting be sure to put screw CC back in there to lock it so it doesn't move.

111w stitch length adl old style 001.jpg

Edited by CowboyBob

Thank you so much for your help! I wish I knew more, but I am learning.

Have a great day.

Thanks again,

Betty