johnnysingerfan

Singer 136w100 stitch length gears

Hi guys, I've just bought an old singer 136w100 postbed roller wheel machine. The stitch length adjustment goes from super fine to fine, there are only 3 settings. I've got the manual and it says you can change the gearing to only have 2 settings but the manual never mentions stitch lengths. I think the maximum stitch is 2mm at the moment. The finest setting is probably half that!  I'd like to get 4 or 5mm stitches if possible? Can it be done by swapping the gears about? Or will I have to make some custom gearing solution? 

Many thanks

John

20230521_220243.jpg

Here's some more photos. I've removed the gearbox cover plate and you can see the 3 pairs of gears. Any help would be great thank you. 

20230521_220420.jpg

20230521_220443.jpg

Sorry, I picked the same page from the manual, meant to pick the 2nd page. Here it is. 

20230521_220859.jpg

I once owned a 110w which is the flat bed Version basically. Cool machine but way too short stitches for what I do. You will find the gears in the parts list of your machine but I honestly doubt there will be gears for 4-5mm stitches. This is an extract from the 110w parts list. Not sure if the gears are the same in your machine so this is just meant as an example. I think the stitch length (stitches per Inch) is the number behind the part numbers.

grafik.png.586b93f9f5bfbecca185ad03bf292182.png

Thank you for the info Constabulary, that is very kind of you. Looks like I'll have to make a custom gearbox. I'll let you know how it goes...

On 5/22/2023 at 12:15 PM, johnnysingerfan said:

Thank you for the info Constabulary, that is very kind of you. Looks like I'll have to make a custom gearbox. I'll let you know how it goes...

The problem you will run into with longer stitches on this model is the continuously wheel-feed system on it,it doesn't stop like most machines so if you go to stitches that are too long it will bend & break needles.You didn't mention what you want to sew,but I see your into old cars so I suppose you might want to sew car seats?If so there are alot better machines suited for the task than this one.Singer 11W or 211W,Juki 562,563,Consew 206,225,226 to name a few.They all have walking feet & needle=feed that help pull the material through you can also get cording feet for them too.

Edited by CowboyBob

Thanks Bob, I understand what you're saying. I suppose the leather thickness and hardness will play a part too? I'm having a play with what is possible with the machine from an engineering point of view really. I've got 7 industrial sewing machines now, so I can tinker on this one a bit. 

I've managed to make a new twin start worm gear for the feed mechanism before the gearbox, so that still allows me to keep 3 stitch lengths, as the original machine. The stitch lengths will have doubled though, now 2mm, 3mm and 4.4mm, which would make the machine much more useful to me. I would use it with 1.5mm chrome tan leather. 

Once I have reassembled the machine I'll let you know if it works at 4.4mm or 3mm stitch lengths. If it only works at 2mm then I guess I've not changed it from the previous maximum length, so I won't have gained or lost anything. 

Fingers crossed it might work. 

Ok guys, so I've cut a new twin start thread and machined off the original single start worm. I can confirm that the stitch length has doubled and the machine seems to be stitching really well! I'm only turning it over by hand at the moment. 

Under the top cover plate there is adjustment for the swing of the needle front to back. There's easily enough adjustment so that the needle doesn't have any strain or bending. 

Now I will go ahead and restore this machine, it is properly filthy! I needed to know that it would make a decent stitch length before I bothered to restore it. 

Have a good weekend guys. 

20230602_211310.jpg

20230602_211204.jpg

20230602_211237.jpg