RVM45

Tutorial for Summer Special Type Holster?

Friends,

Does anyone have a tutorial or a step-by-step build for the Bruce Nelson Style; Inside-The-Pants-Minimalist Holster known as "The Summer Special"? Yeah, Milt Sparks makes one too.

Thought that it might be a cheaper holster  to make, due to the much thinner Leather Used—WHAT WEIGHT IS USED!?!

Thanks.

…..RVM45

This is a similar design.  No sewn in welts for sight channel but the channel can be easily molded instead. https://youtu.be/D8iGei9rmaI

I wouldn’t go thinner than 7/8 personally.

Thanks.

On 5/23/2023 at 2:25 PM, RVM45 said:

Friends,

Does anyone have a tutorial or a step-by-step build for the Bruce Nelson Style; Inside-The-Pants-Minimalist Holster known as "The Summer Special"? Yeah, Milt Sparks makes one too.

Thought that it might be a cheaper holster  to make, due to the much thinner Leather Used—WHAT WEIGHT IS USED!?!

Thanks.

…..RVM45

This is a prototype based on a Summer Special but I added a trailing slot to allow between belt and pants carry if wanted.
I used 4 oz. and made it rough out to better maintain position when in IWB mode like the Summer Special. The top band has a spring steel 
reinforcement sandwiched between the body and top band,  made from a large stainless steel spring clip.
A "T" post is drilled through and set in the steel band, and protrudes 1/16" out a matching hole in the top band.
A "T" post is like wise set on the opposite side of the top band to make it ambidextrous.
The reinforced top band prevents "holster crush" when the piece is drawn and allows easier re-holstering.
The belt keeper has the other hole for the "T" post screw. The keeper pivots 360 but the screw can lock the keeper in place.

Notes: The belt keeper would benefit from "Pull-The-Dot" directional snaps and the holster should have a pronounced body/sweat shield.
You could make the body shield removeable/reversible by using the other "T" post on the body side.
Their should be more muzzle protection also.

(Warning: I wouldn't wear such a large pistol in the SOB position to prevent lower lumbar injuries. This was a prototype.)

ColtGCSSTN.jpg

Edited by Gunfitters
Add Photo

Better muzzle protection,  pigskin lined. Fold over single mag. pouch

ColtOACPhybrid.jpg

Thanks again.