ToddW

Cordovan Shell storage

I got some nice tubes for my larger pieces of leather which works fine but started do a lot of cordovan shell work for wallets, air tag holders, etc.. Its expensive stuff.. it comes in small tubes rolled up but looking for something to store it in when not cutting it..  these pieces are a lot smaller than my normal hides I guy and once you cut a wallet or keychain, it gets flimbsier.. I was looking for ideas on how other people store theirs to keep it nice.. have it semi available, and the ability to sort it by color.. Thoughts??

I have thought about similar problems. Now I do this as a hobby, but if I would decide to start selling products, my main focus would be watch straps. So I would most likely have larger cardboard tubes for the leather I will stock in larger quantities, but it would also make sense to stock a lot of different leathers in smaller quantities. (Like sq.ft sizes) I mean this way if a customer ask for a certain kind of leather, and maybe in a color that I might rarely have customers ask for, then I can still stock it in a smaller quantity.

I think my solution would be smaller cardboard tubes for smaller pieces. storing it in a drawer on top of each other would require something like card folders, and if you want really large sizes, then we are talking about special folders for art and such, and they will be expensive if you only store one leather type/folder.

The benefit with cardboard tubes is that you can build a shelf high up on the wall and place them there.

Here is my plan for storage of the larger cardboard tubes, (upper left corner) and the smaller ones will be in storage room on a shelf. It would also be possible to roll up smaller pieces and store a couple of pieces in one card board tube. 

This is not a perfect solution, if you come up with something better, please share your ideas.

IMG_5373.jpg.d5221a35e13ca8ed53a9d94f31aa0290.thumb.jpg.49bc44143cf0d46345519e9d81cae24b.jpg

Edited by Danne