PatriotO2

Smoothing the flesh side of leather

Does anyone have a suggestion for cleaning up the fuzziness on the flesh side of leather? Has anyone tried to use a pill or lint remover for this?

Edited by PatriotO2
typos.

I saw a video of an East Asian woman making a leather handbag. She applied diluted Toconole with a brush on the flesh side and went over it with a glass burnisher. She did this in small areas to prevent too much liquid from being absorbed. Then she allowed it to dry. I used it on the inside of a leather bag and it worked for me. It smooths down the flesh side. 

I could not find the link, else I would have attached it here..

This product is designed for that purpose.  It penetrates the leather and holds the fibers in place.  It is water based and I dilute it 50:50 with water and apply it in 2 coats, working it with a glass slicker. It is flexible and appears to hold up as well as the moss-back of bridle leather.  Folks also use waxes, PVA glue, and burnishing compounds for this purpose.

IMG_5794.thumb.JPG.dfca496b74f89b954570b4c5f8baf195.JPG 

Two good answers

To answer one of your questions

3 hours ago, PatriotO2 said:

. . .  Has anyone tried to use a pill or lint remover for this?

I use a roller lint remover to remove specks off suede. It definitely does not smooth leather. In fact it does the reverse, it pulls up the nap

Edited by fredk