Lamar90

Hiding old tooling

I have some bits of heavy veg tan from an estate sale that has several pieces with some Sheridan-looking tooling. I’m not sure they’re carved, but they appear to be incomplete, so I don’t think it has been sealed.

I think I want to use them for letter shaped appliqué and so I wonder if I can disguise the tooling with a texture of some kind. I’ve never tried this sort of thing before, tho; so are there any best practices I can follow?

37 minutes ago, Lamar90 said:

I have some bits of heavy veg tan from an estate sale that has several pieces with some Sheridan-looking tooling. I’m not sure they’re carved, but they appear to be incomplete, so I don’t think it has been sealed.

I think I want to use them for letter shaped appliqué and so I wonder if I can disguise the tooling with a texture of some kind. I’ve never tried this sort of thing before, tho; so are there any best practices I can follow?

you can use the other side of the leather, its called rough out. 

17 hours ago, Lamar90 said:

so are there any best practices I can follow?

Do you have any pics ?  that would help too  :)

This is just a wild crazy suggestion, and  not seeing the pics, you could try finishing it off?? :dunno:

" Use the force"  ..just sayin'    :)

HS

...so, using the pieces as roughout isn’t my favorite idea but I can see it. I didn’t realize what I’m considering is so off-the-wall, but in more detail:

What I have is not quite a dozen “D” shapes, around 4x5” in size, with floral work on it. I may have ignorantly referred to this as a “Sheridan” style, but beside the point  

I’ve recently done a project I’d like to repeat with Greek letters scaled to a 3” circle cut out of the leather and applied to a diamond stitched background. I don’t have much experience tooling leather, but:

i hope I can re-case the leather, and use a background tool to obscure the existing tooling and replace that with texture. I assume, if this works, that I’d work the leather before cutting it out, but there could be more considerations: will the leather relax and lighten the previous tooling thru multiple wettings? Would saturating the leather have a positive effect toward that end? I don’t expect the old marks to go away, I just want obscure them enough to make it useful beyond cutting into washers for knife handles or padding corners of shop carts. It’s 1/4” thick and I don’t plan to throw it away. 

1 hour ago, Lamar90 said:

...so, using the pieces as roughout isn’t my favorite idea but I can see it. I didn’t realize what I’m considering is so off-the-wall, but in more detail:

What I have is not quite a dozen “D” shapes, around 4x5” in size, with floral work on it. I may have ignorantly referred to this as a “Sheridan” style, but beside the point  

I’ve recently done a project I’d like to repeat with Greek letters scaled to a 3” circle cut out of the leather and applied to a diamond stitched background. I don’t have much experience tooling leather, but:

i hope I can re-case the leather, and use a background tool to obscure the existing tooling and replace that with texture. I assume, if this works, that I’d work the leather before cutting it out, but there could be more considerations: will the leather relax and lighten the previous tooling thru multiple wettings? Would saturating the leather have a positive effect toward that end? I don’t expect the old marks to go away, I just want obscure them enough to make it useful beyond cutting into washers for knife handles or padding corners of shop carts. It’s 1/4” thick and I don’t plan to throw it away. 

you may pull it off if it hasn't been cut to deep, if its just a tracing or crafttool image I don't see why you cant. Some pics would help!! 

This is totally tooled on the inside with practice work, it was in my junk bin and i needed a sheath. 

roughout1.jpg