Sign in to follow this  
olivermarks

Bison leather pleats to leather sheet sewing

PXL_20230624_002623365.thumb.jpg.0d6eef3787ba764b27aae4b2c334deac.jpg

I'm making a bench seat for a '30's truck using two bison hides which is thicker leather than typical auto upholstery. I've sewn the blind pleat panels - I barely got the folded over fabric, foam and leather into the throat of my consew 2026rb  - and I am going to be attaching a flat front piece of leather to the above edge. My logic is to hand sew the panel of leather to the above and then go over it with the Consew as it is pretty hard going across the edge of the pleats. There is going to a buried tensioning wire in the foam where I've sewn the black webbing, The flat panel will be sewn above the black lines on the pleats.

Is this the best approach or does anyone have any better ideas? Staples don't hold it well as the materials are heavy.

Thanks

What a neat idea!

I am not familiar with the machine you are using. I had a cobra class 4  for years and it would sew just about anything. So I was spoiled.

I would suggest, that If your machine won’t punch through the bison, or if it is to thick to go under the presser foot. I think thinning the leather would be the next step.

Bison hide is pretty tough. It should hold well, even if thinned a bit. 

Joel

42 minutes ago, GrampaJoel said:

What a neat idea!

I am not familiar with the machine you are using. I had a cobra class 4  for years and it would sew just about anything. So I was spoiled.

I would suggest, that If your machine won’t punch through the bison, or if it is to thick to go under the presser foot. I think thinning the leather would be the next step.

Bison hide is pretty tough. It should hold well, even if thinned a bit. 

Joel

It will sew through  the bison no problem. The problem I have is sewing across the pleats, I can't get a good straight line or get over the thick seams easily. You can see in the picture where I've tapered off the pleat where it joins the flat plane, I need to get a french seam across there too, bit of a head scratcher...

On 6/24/2023 at 6:32 PM, olivermarks said:

PXL_20230624_002623365.thumb.jpg.0d6eef3787ba764b27aae4b2c334deac.jpg

I'm making a bench seat for a '30's truck using two bison hides which is thicker leather than typical auto upholstery. I've sewn the blind pleat panels - I barely got the folded over fabric, foam and leather into the throat of my consew 2026rb  - and I am going to be attaching a flat front piece of leather to the above edge. To get help with your college assignments use this website. My logic is to hand sew the panel of leather to the above and then go over it with the Consew as it is pretty hard going across the edge of the pleats. There is going to a buried tensioning wire in the foam where I've sewn the black webbing, The flat panel will be sewn above the black lines on the pleats.

Is this the best approach or does anyone have any better ideas? Staples don't hold it well as the materials are heavy.

Thanks

hey, can you share reliable articles how to make a french seam?