GatoGordo

How to Dye Ostrich Leg Crust

I recently purchased an ostrich leg crust and am not sure how to process it.

Do I dye with regular leather dye? If so, then how? Dip dye, dauber, block dye, or something else?

Do I need to add some kind of conditioner or oil?

I am sure someone has more and better information, but here is what I do. Orion Calf has a system that is made specifically for crust. I dye, depending on the look you want, using a dauber, sponge, even paint brush. It takes dye a bit differently than veg tan, but similar enough not to worry about it. There are no oil's really left in crust. So next add I add 100% neatsfoot oil, light even coat. Then add a coat of their wax. Using a glass slicker I burnish like crazy. Then buff with the soft rag. Let dry between each step.  But, (there's always a but right) my understanding is they are no longer in business. So when I run out of their  product I am going to try using a good quality die by another manufacturer. And a shoe type wax for finish. All that said, it will only give you a place to start. Practice and trial and error are what will get you there. Use some of the edges or soft spots to try it out.

@blueduck thanks for the information. I did as you suggested and cut off a small spot and gave it a try. The dye and oil worked fine, but I do not have any wax for the final step. I will figure out something to try tomorrow.

I was trying to think of the company name yesterday. It was Angelus. They have colored shoe waxes. But neutral will work as well, if you're not trying to get more color. A long time ago I read of using a paste wax for cars. Which if you get a quality one it has carnuba wax. Good luck. I'd like to see it when you're done.