IH460

Looking for Pricking irons

Looking for a set of #9 and #7 or 6  pricking irons in 2 tooth + 5-8 tooth. Looking for French Style 45 degree irons, not chisels. 

Jonathan 

51 minutes ago, IH460 said:

Looking for a set of #9 and #7 or 6  pricking irons

Moved to wanted

I have the following: This one Pricking iron. Never used, notice dip plastic coating. $50 plus shipping in USA

IMG_2060.jpeg

IMG_2061.jpeg

I have a set of #7 Dixon pricking irons. One as eleven teeth and one has four teeth. $90,00 for pair. Excellent condition. 

On 8/31/2023 at 1:52 PM, Ferg said:

I have the following: This one Pricking iron. Never used, notice dip plastic coating. $50 plus shipping in USA

IMG_2060.jpeg

IMG_2061.jpeg

Thanks for the offer Ferg, the #8 size wouldn’t fit my needs however 

On 9/1/2023 at 4:31 PM, terrymac said:

I have a set of #7 Dixon pricking irons. One as eleven teeth and one has four teeth. $90,00 for pair. Excellent condition. 

Sending you a Pm on these @terrymac

I’ve been pleased with the Rocky Mountain European style pricking irons. I rarely use the 2-tooth iron and just tip and tap lightly. I assume you’re marking holes and sewing with an awl. 

1 hour ago, Northmount said:

Thank you, have not seen this section yet, great info. I did stumble upon Nigel’s reviews and found them to be very insightful 

1 minute ago, TomE said:

I’ve been pleased with the Rocky Mountain European style pricking irons. I rarely use the 2-tooth iron and just tip and tap lightly. I assume you’re marking holes and sewing with an awl. 

Correct, marking and following with awl, however not against hybrids like crimson hides or punching through with sharp and consistent width longer tines for certain jobs. I’ve read good things on the RM irons, seem to be a good option. I’m hoping to find some used if possible vs breaking the bank on new 

9 minutes ago, IH460 said:

Correct, marking and following with awl, however not against hybrids like crimson hides or punching through with sharp and consistent width longer tines for certain jobs. I’ve read good things on the RM irons, seem to be a good option. I’m hoping to find some used if possible vs breaking the bank on new 

I just received a Gomph #12 and Osborne #10 overstitch wheels. Thinking about switching from pricking irons to these for bridlework. Faster and easier on the pocketbook. 

Just now, TomE said:

I just received a Gomph #12 and Osborne #10 overstitch wheels. Thinking about switching from pricking irons to these for bridlework. Faster and easier on the pocketbook. 

Funny you say so, I’m working the other direction and want to give irons a try vs wheel. Curiosity killing the cat I suppose  

Just now, IH460 said:

Funny you say so, I’m working the other direction and want to give irons a try vs wheel. Curiosity killing the cat I suppose  

Fun to try out different tools and learn new skills. That’s what it’s all about.