ThomasBH

Juki 1508NH clone wobbly foot and needle size

Hello,

I just picked up an absolute steal on a slightly used "Toyoda 1508NH" which is a clone of a Juki 1508, NH but I can't find any information on the internet about this machine. It seems to be identical to the "Titan" branded one but I'm not sure.

1. The rear / non walking foot is very wobbly even when tightened...the hole is possibly too large? Should I be fine ordering regular 1508 parts? And how can I determine if its the foot or the piece the foot attaches to?

2. The needle size listed in the manual is 190 (and for actual Juki 1508 NHs) but the retailer / previous owner has 135 x 17 needles installed, which would be for the regular N version, not the NH version. My initial idea is the hook timing may have to be altered to work properly with the 190 size of needles...then I was thinking, maybe this machine is actually just an N version despite the metal plate riveted on the side.

3. There is a large plastic wheel with 1-6 settings on it on the top right...I think this is for adjusting the height of the walking foot? Can anyone confirm?

image.thumb.png.484cd6a787f4908aeb79ee98310a12c5.png

I'm in Canada and any part sources or tips and tricks on this machine is appreciated.

Thanks!

Edited by ThomasBH

Please post some pictures of the whole machine (Front& back) and a close-up of the actual feet you have.

It’s very likely you have the standard gauge with Singer style feet. In that case you may simply have the screw inserted from the wrong side.

The forked presser bar is threaded only on one side. You need to insert the screw from the non-threaded side in order to squeeze the forks together and hold the foot very tightly. If the screw is inserted from the threaded side, it will screw in just fine, but it will not squeeze the forks together and thus not hold the foot tight - the foot will just dangle loosely from the screw no matter how much you tighten it.

And that adjustment wheel on top should indeed change the walking height of the feet.

Look at the original Juki LU-1508NH manuals for general instructions …

BUT that walking height adjustment wheel was actually not on the original LU-1508NH machines, so you won’t find it in that manual linked above. That adjustment wheel is a feature of a slightly different model. Clone manufacture often mix and match features from closely related OEM  variations. Juki may have a dozen variations on the basic LU-1508, but the clone manufacturer makes just one model and puts all the useful features from the variations into that one model.

I’d also say don’t worry too much about the “true” NH or not thing, although chances are good it actually has NH specs. If the machine sews nicely with the needle system that’s installed, just use that and enjoy it. If you run out of other useful things to do, you can investigate and verify precise specs, or maybe change needle systems. But don’t let it interfere with enjoying your absolute steal of a machine.

Edited by Uwe