fredk

A warning about making payments via paypal

This is not about paypal itself but your payments to others using paypal

Hidden in the 'agreement' that a lot of sellers use is a clause for automatic payments via paypal

Who reads that 'agreement'?

We just click the box that says we have then we proceed to make the payment

Recently I noticed that two payments each of 16p was taken by Royal Mail from my paypal balance. Not much, but I  had not authorised these payments ~ but yet I had

No explanation from RM why or what for

I tracked the payments through to the 'automatic' payments in my paypal account settings

It appears that on two occasions when I bought parcel postage on line I had allowed automatic payments to be taken. Probably by just clicking on the wee box that I'd read the T&Cs

I was able to disable these as well any future ones

One night recently I bought two lots of RM postage so in the morning after I went to my paypal account settings to check the automatic payments

There were no RM ones but there was one for Jadlam ( a plastic model retailer I buy from) and one for KOBO (an ebook seller I use for my KOBO )

They are now disabled

There was also two for ebay but I left them active as I use ebay a lot and if I disable them it would, allegedly, cause problems with my buying & paying on ebay

Therefore; I suggest, if you have a paypal account, go check for automatic payments

To get to see them you go through to your account settings using the wee gear wheel at the top of the main page

On the home screen, click on the settings cogwheel to open a new page.

Click on payments

Scroll down to Automatic Payments

Disable the ones you want, then check the active payments button to ensure it is disabled.

Repeat above step as required

Log Out.