Prep4Cheap

More beer Cozy,s

I seem to migrate to these pretty readily… got two orders this morning for them… so interest is starting to increase as word gets out I am doing leatherwork… exciting to say the least!

Anyway, figured I’d post and get some feedback…

NY Yankees and a Lord of the rings inspired cozy’s…. Really would like the honest feedback as the interest to what I am creating has me considering starting to move this to “serious consideration” from a P/T business consideration when I retire in January…

Best to you all!

20231001_142131.jpeg

20231001_141927.jpeg

20231001_142623.jpeg

That looks awesome! A simple design with the right amount of detail! I've tooled very few things, it's so time consuming! Did you create the tooling pattern for the lighter colored cozy?

If people want them and you can provide them, it's a business proposition. Your cozy idea is a fun one. People like hand made items and leather has a quality feel to it. Keep your invested time reasonable and make some extra bucks. I personally like your simpler, uncluttered designs. In advertising art the white space (un-decorated area) is as important as the design. Too much detail takes away from the design effectiveness. I think the idea has potential. Keep making them and see where it goes.

By the way, what does the seam side look like?

Thank you all for your comments and your positiveness.

I have to work hard in my mind to keep things in perspective… it’s natural to be critical of your own work, and I easily lose sight of my skills, limited as they are. The reactions to my work have been very positive, even with all of the flaws I see in what I produce. I have to keep reminding myself that the majority of people won’t or don’t do this… and so their eyes look differently . I’m still in the learning curve, without a doubt, and am absolutely humbled at what I see others producing…   

I strive to learn something new every day.. YouTube, here on the forums, articles, etc…. And I have to constantly remind myself of the time it took for the GOAT’s in this field / hobby to get where they, are.

So I guess the moral of the story is…. Just do it…. Have fun with it… failures are moves forward if you don’t allow them to set you backwards….

in answering some of your questions…

I use a design program called Affinity II.  The lighter cozy with the Celtic Knot design is actually two patterns I found online, and combined them to one file. I print them on Velum, then transfer to the cased leather with a stylus. I do have a question…. Is it protocol to give credit here when you have used someone else’s patterns or designs? I really believe in credit given where credit is due. I’m still working through the copyright / intellectual property rights thing with these and want to make sure I am doing the right thing!

The Lord of the Rings one is also several vectors I found online, if you look close, there is also a very faint, embossed map of Middle Earth behind the Tolkien logo… I agree, the simpler designs are sometimes the best!

the stitching sides….. I’ll post additional pics of those… it’s actually where I am most confident and I enjoy the tranquility of the time it takes to stitch up!

thanks again for your comments… more pics coming

Yeah! Can't wait to see more pictures. I've finally gotten the courage to join a forum and mingle with other like-minded crafters. I've found in my year at looking at designs and creating my own, the simpler ones allow you to feature a nice logo or tooled leather piece very effectively.

If this takes off, you can get a Delron maker's stamp made at Grey Ghost Graphics for a reasonable price. I have a couple of his and they're really good quality. I also have a steel one but I paid dearly for it.

4E3HuZP.jpg

0hvlLIS.jpg

I used to smack them with a mallet but these days I press them into the leather with my drill press (off, of course).

Obviously, the one on the left is the Delron one.

Edited by MarshalWill