stitchgearhead

Durkopp Adler 268 - How to identify the version of my machine?

Hello all

Sorry, long post. For the gist of it, please skip to the end part.

2 years ago, I was looking for a sewing machine for leather, not very expensive (this is a starting hobby for me), but knew little more than the brands usually mentioned in Google searches: Pfaff, Singer, Durkopp, Juki, etc. Iknew that I should try to get a walking foot machine, if possible, but the very few that I could find were VERY expensive. Being focused on thin leather pieces, I thought I could get by without a walking foot, provided I could sew 2 or 3 layers of soft, thin leather reliably.

I then found this Adler 268, twin-needle postbed machine, not too far away, for a price that I could afford. Went there, saw it stitching 3 layers of leather I had with me, and brought it home.

It was stitching well, but it was work-dirty, and some pieces had started rusting mildly. I cleaned it as best I could, afraid to disassemble it and upset the mechanisms, and used it like that for a while. I had, of course, problems with it, but they were of my own making, through ignorance. I even set it aside for a time, disgusted (more with myself than the machine) for not knowing what I was doing, and therefore being unable to do what I wanted. I stuck with hand sewing.

A few months back I got into a project that could really use long, regular stitches, so I put in the effort to learn what I needed, to be able to use the machine properly. I knew nothing, then, of sewing machines in general, and all the minutia that goes with them: needle sizes vs. thread sizes, hook timings, etc. It worked, mostly thanks to the members of this forum, and the many hours reading here, seeing videos and such, and I am now capable of doing most basic tasks needed to use the machine properly.

Amongst these references, I got the User's and Service Manuals for the Durkopp 268. The Service Manual refers to a large number of versions, but I am unable to identify exactly what version is mine.

Before you ask, the machine itself is no help: all the "Durkopp" labels are gone, the clutch motor is not original, and even the chrome plate that resides in the rear is blanked off (or has been replaced with a blank plate). I looked at it with a high-power magnifier glass, and there's not a trace of any markings. Usually, the version should be written there...but isn't.

So, there we have it: a badly painted, barely maintaned Durkopp Adler 268, postbed twin needle, 8 mm gauge, no walking foot, with no labels or indications of version. How can I find out what version (there are some 30 different versions in the Service Manual...) it is? 

The Service Manual should help, but it is difficult, for me, to interpret the "Technical Data" table with "Features per version", since I don't know what many of the terms mean. I gather that the versions that have a number in the "Alternating Top Feed Stroke" line are the walking-foot versions, but even that is not certain for me.

So, any ideas about what I should do to find out? Any help is appreciated.

Daniel

IMG20230921221542.jpg

The Adler 268 Brochures/leaflets (Leaflets_Adler_class_268_part1.pdf and  Leaflets_Adler_class_268_part2.pdf ) should help you narrow down the possibilities. I would guess it’s an Adler 268-262, or something close to it. It’s hard to tell if it has or had a thread cutter, without seeing more detailed pics. I’d say you can rule out most of the subclasses that have letters in them. 

It looks like you already found some of the other manuals. Here’s the page at Durkopp Adler that shows what they have available for download in their archives. I had to switch the toggle button from “Exlusive Archive” to  “All Data” to see vintage 268 documentation. 

https://www.duerkopp-adler.com/service/documents-download-center/catalogs-and-brochures/

I’m not sure you absolutely must know the precise subclass. Many of the basic adjustments for hook timing etc. will be very similar among the basic subclasses.

Post some more pictures when you get a chance (rear, underside, close-up of needle area, hook covers open, etc.)

Edited by Uwe

Send more pics of the feet and needle area.  I like Uwe have Adler brochures but I have more of them.  Looks like bottom needle feed machine.

glenn

Thank you both for taking the time to reply. Here are some more pics.

The will to find the version is because some details, like maximum stitch length, vary between versions, according to the manual, and I would like to check that everything is working properly. The other (main?) reason is...that I'm a gearhead, and always want to know as much as I can about my machines. I really like the mechanical side of things, and sewing machines in general, and this one in particular, fascinate me, and make me want to know how every single piece works, and how it interacts with other pieces. I want to understand how machines work, and not just use them. A sewing machine is no different, and more interesting than most.

This machine needs a proper disassembly/reassembly (like I've done with so many other kinds of machinery), but I do not know enough (yet) to do it. All I've done, so far, is check and adjust the hook timing, readjust the needle spacing (the right needle was touching the side of the feed dog hole), and lubricate what I could.  

As far as these 268 go, this is probably the simplest of the twin-needle. Double-feed, no line cutters or anything else extra, I think, and still it works well, even with all the gunk in hard-to-reach places, and probably bad adjustments (judging by the needle positioning...).

Still, it is usable right now, but I believe it can be made much better. I have everything I need for that, including wide experience with mechanical devices, except knowledge of this particular machine. But it is fascinating, at least as much as working with leather.

PA060751.JPG

PA060752.JPG

PA060757.JPG

PA060759.JPG

Continue due to size limits...

And, please, forgive me for taking too long to reply. It's not lack of interest, it's lack of time.

Thank you both for your help.

Daniel

PA060761.JPG

Also, the Durkopp Service Manual I have is from April 1990, and it has 30 versions listed...but no 262 version. I'm guessing it's because the machine is older than 1990...which is likely.

I will search for older versions of the manual.

Thanks.

Daniel

Uwe was correct.  It is either a 268-262 or 268-263.  Only difference is the size of the needle it takes.    62 takes 80-110, 63 uses 110-140.

glenn

Thanks, shoepatcher. I have found a photo of a 268-263 for sale, and it is indeed the closest, visually, I've seen yet to mine. Black plastic covers on the post, for instance. Unfortunately, I still haven't found the specs for the 262 or 263 versions, nor an older version of the Service Manual. If you, or anyone else, knows where I can get them, please advise.

The machine came with 110 needles installed, but the holes on the feed dog are more than big enough to fit a 140 needle, I think (I don't have one yet). Also, since the clutch motor is not the original Adler one, there is no way to check speeds or any other motor-related specs.

It does have a 6mm stitch length, but even that is not fully garanteed: the thread on the righthand side kind of skips, very taut, going around the bobbin case, when set at maximum stitch length, as if the mechanism doesn't allow enough slack. However, the bobbin carrier on that side has quite a bit of wear, compared to the left side, so that may be the cause, but it would be nice to know, at least, these 2 specs: max stitch length and possible needle sizes.

Still, not a deal breaker. At 5 mm or less, it works flawlessly. I'll soon get a servo motor with a small pulley, and it will be more than good enough for my uses.

Thanks a lot. I really mean it. I'd be lost with all this without leatherworker.net!

Daniel

Max. stitch length  6mm

max ft. lift 7mm

needle system 134  sizes 80-140 depending on which one you have.

glenn