jeep534

Thoughts on the Ferdco 440R

56 minutes ago, jeep534 said:

I recently purchased a Ferdco 440R, and I was wondering if anybody has any experience with this machine. Thank you, A.H.

Might help if you let us know what kind of information you're looking for.  Since you say you've already bought the machine, obviously you're not asking whether or not to buy one.  :) 

By the way, a quick search here turns up quite a few threads about "Ferdco 440".

Edited by MtlBiker

It will mark the bottom side of the leather since it is a bottom feed only ,it might sew to 3/8" leather if it's not too hard of leather.Otherwise they do hold up pretty good as long as they're oiled properly.

Totally agree with Bob. Limited in what they can do, marks up the back side. I bought one from Ron (Ferdco in Idaho) when the 440s were advertised in horse and tack magazines for $1500. Anything else new that stitched leather was $5000 or more at that time. I had it a day and realized that the mechanics of it  was not the machine for me. Ron offered me a used Adler 205-64 head as a replacement and we swapped heads for "$1000 - I'll hold the check and you tell me when to cash it".   Best deal I could have done, they really helped me out when I needed it! The Adler was bullet proof and made me a lot of money. Not a fan of the 440 for good stuff. I know people who sew production belting stuff and replacement tack parts on them, but finer stuff was just not passable for me.