DesireGood

What is this?

Can anyone tell me what this pulley/reducer is and how it works? I am not sure what it is set up to do ... make the machine go faster or slower? the head on top is a Singer 241-12 with no modifications as far as I know. I bought it set up as is pictured.

The problem is I bought this set up as it is, but the oil pan is missing. My initial thought is it was set up to go slow, or someone was trying to make it do that. But, from (https://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/pulley-diameters-speeds-d_1620.html), it seems the pulleys would make it go faster. I usually get such things backwards. Advice?

photo_of_pulley_reducer.png

photo_of_pulley_241-12.png

Edited by DesireGood

30 minutes ago, DesireGood said:

Can anyone tell me what this pulley/reducer is

Moved your post to leather sewing machines.  This is where the machine guys hang out.

From what I can see, plus the age of your machine, that looks like it is a clutch, and would be on the end of a clutch motor.  The motor runs at constant speed all the time it is turned on.  As you press on the foot pedal, it engages the clutch.  Takes a lot of practice to run the machine at low speed.  It's more fussy that a clutch on a car/truck with a standard transmission.

Others will be along to confirm or correct my comments.

This is usually called a line shaft clutch.  Still used in places like Amish communities.  I saw one in a machine shop in Wisconsin.  I used one on my machine as a vendor on the bike circuit. Glad I did had a motor blow at Sturgis and went to the farm store picked up a 110v 1/4 horse and was back in business. The clutch uses a 3/8" leather round belt.  If it gets sticky simple slip a pc. of sand paper while running. Great control. For production work making chaps and vest I used clutch or servo.

Thanks guys! So ... what kind of speeds should I expect from it ... lower RPM or higher RPM than the motor output itself?

With a 2" motor pulley you could expect 4-900rpm tops with great control. I have seen some with a multiple pulleys on the motor so you could change speeds. On your machine the table and clutch is probably worth more than the machine. I could see a 111w or 211 for a real cool vintage look.

Ah! Sweet! The clutch does have two different sizes on it. Hmm ... Thanks! :D

I think, if I am able to do it, if I design and 3D print a bigger wheel to attach to the current handwheel, that I might achieve the lower speeds. I think the current 2 pulley setup is designed to achieve higher speeds, but I do tend to reverse these things. I also did a projection for a 1 pulley setup, which could get approx 3 inches per second. I'll get someone to double-check my figures. (see images)

ratio_current_approx.png.bbd526b1eda70dee0b6696648f3969c9.png

ratio_projected_approx.png.fac2d27d357f8ffc169f11db9a1c465b.png

ratio_projected_approx_1_pulley.png.7a8b31c9c53f730579db75f68341bfc7.png

Edited by DesireGood

I think reducing the pulley on the motor shaft is a good place to start. :)

Edited by DesireGood