bodydog

Simple clutch (and a help request)

Hey all, been trawling around here for tips for a while and finally had something worth posting as well as a question I couldn't find an answer to. I made a small purse/clutch and am reasonably happy with how it turned out but have an issue I'd like to iron out before making it again for others. The flap doesn't sit flush against the body of the bag when closed and I'm having some trouble figuring out how to fix it. I figure it's due to the flap only being secured in the center and basically pinching it in the middle while the sides flare out. The leather is the 5oz "Caviar" leather lined with 2oz Bodin Joyeux "Plonge Lux" leather both from Rocky Mountain Leather Supply, I'm wondering if it's just a matter of being too stiff? I would appreciate any suggestions y'all might have to remedy this.

The first two photos are of the finished bag where you can kind of see the issue and the third is a prototype I put together that shows the issue a little more clearly.

Clutch 1.jpg

Clutch 2.jpg

Clutch 3.jpg

I think your right needs a second closer one on each side.

Yeah, that would solve the pinching but I like the simplicity of the single latch so I'd like to keep the closure if possible. I like the leather as well but if a softer temper would help, I'm more inclined to make that change first.

I think a softer pull up type leather would be better suited for your design. If you want to keep the more rigid body of the clutch, you could line the body with a light to mid weight veg tan. While leaving the flap unlined or lined with something very soft and flexible.

When you line the interior piece, do it with the curve in the outer piece/ the flap. You can see how wrinkled the inside piece is on the curve so you have both pieces working against each other. Ones trying to bend in and the others trying to bend out and be flat. 

15 hours ago, Cattleman said:

I think a softer pull up type leather would be better suited for your design. If you want to keep the more rigid body of the clutch, you could line the body with a light to mid weight veg tan. While leaving the flap unlined or lined with something very soft and flexible.

That's an interesting idea! I'll give that a shot the next iteration. I know there are also those stiffener materials you can sandwich but I've never tried them, might be a good opportunity to experiment with those.

13 hours ago, Burkhardt said:

When you line the interior piece, do it with the curve in the outer piece/ the flap. You can see how wrinkled the inside piece is on the curve so you have both pieces working against each other. Ones trying to bend in and the others trying to bend out and be flat. 

Gotcha, I saw a video talking about doing that for the sides of a bag to avoid wrinkles but didn't connect it to the body but that makes sense. It'd basically require cutting the lining slightly shorter than the outer correct? 

Kind of yes, the easiest would be to take the lining and bend it over something and then glue the outer to it and cut the access off instead of starting with the lining shorter. You'll probably take out a half inch from lining after you cut it off but the flap will lay much flatter all the way across.