Hi I would like to greet everyone first.

I am a leather master's degreed engineer and engage in Leathercrafting as a hobby. I have been working with vegetable-tanned leather for more than 15 years.
I would be happy to answer any questions or address any issues you may have related to vegetable tanning.

Regards...

Welcome!  I am always interested in reading about the chemistry of tanning and currying leather.  Any books that you can recommend or articles that can be shared?  Particularly interested bridle and harness leather.   

Great your experience and knowledge can be well put to use here. welcome!!! 

18 hours ago, TomE said:

Welcome!  I am always interested in reading about the chemistry of tanning and currying leather.  Any books that you can recommend or articles that can be shared?  Particularly interested bridle and harness leather.   

Hello again!
I can recommend two books on this subject for you. However, honestly, these books might seem a bit complex for those outside the field of leather techniques.
1. "Tanning Chemistry - The Science of Leather"
2. "Text Book of Tanning"

But I can make things easier for you. I can prepare the information you need as articles on my website. ☺️

6 hours ago, VegetableTanning said:

Hello again!
I can recommend two books on this subject for you. However, honestly, these books might seem a bit complex for those outside the field of leather techniques.
1. "Tanning Chemistry - The Science of Leather"
2. "Text Book of Tanning"

But I can make things easier for you. I can prepare the information you need as articles on my website. ☺️

Thank you!  I will check them out.  Does either book cover the currying process for making bridle and harness leathers?

Edited by TomE

On 12/10/2023 at 6:41 AM, TomE said:

Thank you!  I will check them out.  Does either book cover the currying process for making bridle and harness leathers?

Yes. In there. but you need to check everything.

Within with month, I will publish a writing on my web site.

please follow www.vegettabletanning.com

Thanks...

I'm near 80 and having trouble de-hairing with knife any suggestions?  Also do you have a good source for tanning bark, especially that tans in light tan color.

13 hours ago, VegetableTanning said:

Yes. In there. but you need to check everything.

Within with month, I will publish a writing on my web site.

please follow www.vegettabletanning.com

Thanks...

Thank you for these resources.  Your website looks like a very interesting read.  Will enjoy browsing through it later today.