Sarina

How long after finishing with resolene should I wait before adding rivets and hardware?

I have a project that I am making as a gift for someone I'll see tomorrow. I just finished the fourth coat of 3 coats of satin shene (diluted 50/50 with water) and a fourth coat of resolene (also diluted 50/50 with water).

In the past I've waited 24 hours before stressing leather just to be safe, but now I would really like to finish this project in time to give it to my friend when I see them tomorrow. Work would involve fixing pieces together using rivets, and bending leather around dee rings and buckles.

How long should I realistically wait before finishing the project?

Edited by Northmount
fixed title typo

As soon as its dry to touch. 

5 hours ago, Sarina said:

I have a project that I am making as a gift for someone I'll see tomorrow. I just finished the fourth coat of 3 coats of satin shene (diluted 50/50 with water) and a fourth coat of resolene (also diluted 50/50 with water).

In the past I've waited 24 hours before stressing leather just to be safe, but now I would really like to finish this project in time to give it to my friend when I see them tomorrow. Work would involve fixing pieces together using rivets, and bending leather around dee rings and buckles.

How long should I realistically wait before finishing the project?

All of that final coat is not needed . . . in fact . . . you will almost undoubtedly wind up with many cracks in the finish . . . especially in places where the leather is seriously bent.

You may get away with it by bending it as soon as you apply the finish . . . and then touch up the finish . . . that's your only hope.

But like posted above . . . as soon as it is dry to the touch . . . get that work done.

May God bless,

Dwight

Thanks for the responses! I don't know why I thought I had to wait 24 hours for the leather finish to "cure".

For some reason I was thinking that since the finish was diluted 50/50 with water, 4 coats would be necessary. They were all put on as thin coats. The switch to resolene was supposed to give it more protection while still keeping it fairly satin.

Do you have any suggestions on things I can do at this point to prevent it from cracking where it will be bent?

Bend it while its still wet from the sealer

Should I apply another sealer coat so I can do that or would that make it worse?

Edited by Sarina
Autocorrect typo

18 minutes ago, Sarina said:

Should I apply another dealer cost so I can do that or would that make it worse?

???

Haha sorry that is beautiful autocorrect at work. I meant to say "sealer coat". Although I did try bending it now and it seems fine. It'd 3/4 oz leather, I'm not sure if that makes a difference.

It shud be fine. As long as you don't put any more sealer on it