nycgirl

Thoughts about this used Juki 341

Hi everyone,

Happy new year! I went to the mechanic to test the phaff 335 and he happened to also have this juki 341. He will put it on a space saving table with a new servo motor, clean it up a bit and change out the plate. I believe the plate is set up for binding now.  I tested it and it seems to work well. I would love any opinions on how the machine looks to you, if there is anything I should be aware of or look for before making the purchase.

Thank you all so much again. I really appreciate having you all here to help me make a more informed decision.

-451103782945184259.jpg

18 minutes ago, nycgirl said:

I would love any opinions on how the machine looks to you, if there is anything I should be aware of or look for before making the purchase.

A couple of thoughts:

i) The color of the machine indicates to me the machine was made prior to 1996 so the machine is plus 25 years old. With this age of machine you need to tilt the machine away from the base and inspect the rubber timing belt for dry rot/ cracking and also check for side slop in the bearings.

ii) Top thread pin is missing. Not a big deal cost wise but it needs one.

iii) Top thread felt is missing in the horizontal square guide just before the needle. This keeps tension on the thread as the thread take-up arm cycles. Not a big deal just put a new piece of felt in.

How much are they asking for the machine? In Ontario, Canada you can get a used Juki LS-1341with table and servo motor for around $1500 - $2000 CAD ($1200 - $1500 USD) depending on condition so a LS-341 should be cheaper.

kgg

1 hour ago, kgg said:

A couple of thoughts:

i) The color of the machine indicates to me the machine was made prior to 1996 so the machine is plus 25 years old. With this age of machine you need to tilt the machine away from the base and inspect the rubber timing belt for dry rot/ cracking and also check for side slop in the bearings.

iii) Top thread felt is missing in the horizontal square guide just before the needle. This keeps tension on the thread as the thread take-up arm cycles. Not a big deal just put a new piece of felt in.

How much are they asking for the machine? In Ontario, Canada you can get a used Juki LS-1341with table and servo motor for around $1500 - $2000 CAD ($1200 - $1500 USD) depending on condition so a LS-341 should be cheaper.

kgg

I think he will add the thread pin, but I don't think he mentioned the thread felt. I might need to replace that myself.

Can you expand on how to check the rubber timing belt and the side slop please?

He is asking $2000 USD with delivery. I thought that $ 2000 was kind of expensive for an older machine. Do you think I should try and negotiate it down?

1 hour ago, kgg said:

A couple of thoughts:

kgg

Do you think such an old machine will give me a lot of problems? The mechanic said he will guarantee it for a year.

1 hour ago, nycgirl said:

He is asking $2000 USD with delivery. I thought that $ 2000 was kind of expensive for an older machine.

If I were looking for a 341/1341 class machine I would pass on this one even though it maybe a great machine. I would give serious consideration to purchasing a new clone machine similar to the Cowboy CB341( $2400 USD), Cobra Class 26 ($3400 USD) and being in Canada the Kobe LS-1341 ($2500 CAD $1900 USD). 

1 hour ago, nycgirl said:

Can you expand on how to check the rubber timing belt and the side slop please?

The machine is actually to parts body and base. The base is hindged to the body and and held in place by the silver lever. Release the lever and the body will tilt backward and you will be able to see the timing belt. As far as slop it depends on the location but a quick check would be to push the handwheel towards the body if there is slop in that bearing there will be movement.

kgg